PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Heavy barrel bmag thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

gsperaz
03-29-2014, 05:24 PM
I got a chance to shoot my new SS/HB today at 50 yds. After a quick site-in the results were very good.
25 grain
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/gsperaz/WP_000525_zps5e3abd18.jpg (http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/gsperaz/media/WP_000525_zps5e3abd18.jpg.html)
20 grain, the flyer was my fault it was starting to rain and I was rushing the shots.http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/gsperaz/WP_000528_zps6ecd3dd5.jpg (http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/gsperaz/media/WP_000528_zps6ecd3dd5.jpg.html)

rsh4364
03-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Seems it shoots as good as it looks gsperaz,I think Im gonna have to get one.Thanks.

savageshooter617
03-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Nice lil groups

Jeremy B
03-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Seems it shoots as good as it looks gsperaz,I think Im gonna have to get one.Thanks.

I would wait until I see how the SS shoots at 100 yards before buying one

gsperaz
03-29-2014, 08:06 PM
No Willy, just the barrel channel is cut wider for the HB barrel. No improvements.

gsperaz
03-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Looks great...what did you use to sand out the barrel channel?
I just used a deep well socket about the same size as the barrel.

onegreatshot
03-30-2014, 01:17 AM
Here is my question, can one purchase the heavy barrel for the B-Mag separately from any place?? I already have the older B-Mag rifle and a Boyd forest camo thumb hole stock. I to jumped on the B-Mag to soon.

gsperaz
03-30-2014, 06:07 AM
I doubt savage will sell just a barrel due to liability issues, there is also the head spacing issue. You maybe able to send it to savage for them to install.
I am have some difficulty getting a new trigger assy for my original Bmag due to the liability, and that is a drop in part.

n4ue
03-30-2014, 11:20 AM
First trip to the range.......

A quick overview and then the results. Did you ever read a magazine review of a new gun and the writer mentions that he was shooting in high winds? I got the new SS bmag Friday. Sat was a total rainout, so today I got a chance to fire it. There was a stiff breeze, coming directly from my back, so I didn't even think about shooting groups. I also have the original bmag, which I was VERY disappointed with. I cleaned the bbl and gave it a light coating of HBN/alcohol.
As Dave would say, the "buzzard's beak" on the new bolt is smaller. Also, (although I have not determined the reason, yet) there is some difference in the bolts. I have the Glades Armory bolt on the other rifle and wanted to see how it fit on the new gun. The original bmag rifle's bolt won't fit in completely on the SS model. If I took them apart, the reason might be obvious, but I was just curious....
I have a new scope coming tomorrow, so I took a couple of spares to the range after getting them fitted with the correct rings.
First up was a NcStar 3-12X56. If you look up "POS" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of this scope. I only bought it because it was silver. Trying to zero it at 50 yards was nearly impossible since I could JUST BARELY see the holes in the 'shoot n see' target. I managed to get it 'close enough' and pulled it.
Next was an older Tasco Mag IV 50. It's 6.5-20X50mm. I've rotated this scope through a bunch of rifles and it works very well. Remember these are 'spares'. It just clears the bbl, just the way I like it.

Results: It was easy to get on target at 50 yards, and with the AO, it was very easy to see the holes...... I switched to a new target and I am in LOVE! As soon as I can. I post the pix of the target. It is .200" ctc for 5 shots. I just couldn't believe it!
I had one misfire. It worked on the 2nd try. The firing pin strike looks pretty light, but maybe if will get better with use. Just like the original rifle, you have to concentrate when closing the bolt. It will hit the stock if the bolt is not all the way forward, when you try to close it.

Bottom line........... this rifle can shoot!

ron

n4ue
03-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Forgotten details......

I forget to mention the following:
The rifle feels very muzzle heavy due to the light stock and heavy bbl.
I measured the trigger with a very accurate Hunter spring guage. It broke consistently at 2.5 lbs. I left it as is.
I only shot the 25 gr loads. I have weighed and sorted rounds before, but this was just 'out of the box'.
I fired the rifle off of a small front rest and rear sandbag. Normally I use just a bipod and rear sandbag.

I'm very excited about this rifle and it has renewed my faith in Savage! I am putting a bipod on it this week.

ron

bremereric
03-31-2014, 04:50 PM
I found out that a gun store in and around San Antonio Texas has some. Not cheap but they can be had. I ordered one.
Mine ended up being $425.00 shipped with taxes.

rsh4364
03-31-2014, 05:36 PM
LGS said we will have them when they are released? Local DSG has 2 in stock! gotta have 1,

n4ue
03-31-2014, 07:01 PM
I've seen the price all over the place. I believe the MSRP is $409. I have seen them from >$500 to $330.......

I hope mine is not an 'exception' and they all shoot a good as mine. My original B-Mag is pathetic by comparison, even with a 'good Redfield' scope.
I haven't shot 20 gr yet, but thrilled with the 25 gr stuff.

ron

gsperaz
03-31-2014, 07:45 PM
I've seen the price all over the place. I believe the MSRP is $409. I have seen them from >$500 to $330.......

I hope mine is not an 'exception' and they all shoot a good as mine. My original B-Mag is pathetic by comparison, even with a 'good Redfield' scope.
I haven't shot 20 gr yet, but thrilled with the 25 gr stuff.

ron
That's great Ron. Mine is a good shooter as well without any band-aides to help it shoot. After fitting my HB/SS into my boyds stock the muzzle heavy balance is much better.
I have shot both the 20's and 25's and at 50 yds both will group under a 1/2". At 100yds the 25's really shine, 4 shots that I could cover with a penny. The 20's on the other hand spread out to just over 1". Also,the 20's seem to be more wind sensitive, as I expected. Very acceptable for a hunting rifle in my opinion, and a world better then my original.

surfcitydude
03-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Seems the gun is easy to find, but where do you find ammo. I did a huge search from some of the places I buy from and nobody shows any in stock. Anyone?

gsperaz
03-31-2014, 08:30 PM
For some reason ammo is very scarce right now. I have only seen it Cabela's website lately and it goes quick. They only allow you one box to boot.
Lots of it on gun broker it you want to get raped,,,,,,:o

n4ue
04-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Speaking of ammo....... The lgs where I bought my SS model, has 2 of the original guns in stock, but no ammo. Kinda hard to sell one that way.

Today, I had to go to the family Dr. for my 3 month "old fart" checkup. There is a nearby, newer gun shop. I was going to stop there before going to the Dr. But, I waited until I was done to visit the store. Dr. visit took a long time!
When the gun shop guy was asked if he had any .17 WSM ammo, he said that 45 minutes before I came in, a guy stopped in and bought all 14 boxes!
That could have been a 'tale', but he said he had the ammo on the shelf for a LONG time. He also said he has had very bad luck with the original BMag.....

ron

rona
04-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Last Sunday was a perfect day to sight in rifles so did so with the SS heavy barrel and the regular barrel B-Mag that I got back from Savage.
The SS heavy barrel worked perfect and with 25 rounds no fliers. Very accurate and am really happy with it. Unfortunately the normal barrel B-Mag would produce one flier every 5 rounds and the magazine wouldn't lock into position. I switched magazines with the new one and no difference so the problem is in the rifle not the magazine.
I realize I am not the only one with the flier problem but find it hard to blame the ammo as used from the same box for both rifles.
I returned it to the store and they will send it in. I sure wish they would switch it to the heavy barrel for a little boot money.

n4ue
04-01-2014, 06:45 PM
rona, I agree with the swap idea. I have a bunch of Savage rifles, mostly Axis with 4 M12s and 2 M25s thrown in. I have been very, very happy with the brand UNTIL I got the original BMag. The results I have had so far with the HB SS model have renewed my faith in Savage. I 'feel' that folks that are unhappy with the original model should get some kind of trade-in deal for the new SS model.
Some folks will be happy with their original BMag. I wasn't, but I LOVE the SS model.

FWIW

ron

bremereric
04-01-2014, 06:48 PM
That's great Ron. Mine is a good shooter as well without any band-aides to help it shoot. After fitting my HB/SS into my boyds stock the muzzle heavy balance is much better.
I have shot both the 20's and 25's and at 50 yds both will group under a 1/2". At 100yds the 25's really shine, 4 shots that I could cover with a penny. The 20's on the other hand spread out to just over 1". Also,the 20's seem to be more wind sensitive, as I expected. Very acceptable for a hunting rifle in my opinion, and a world better then my original.Not to hi jack the thread but what are you going to do with your old one?