PDA

View Full Version : thick recoil lugs?

Pages : 1 [2]

Savage6x284
03-21-2014, 07:40 PM
I'll take your wager but we are going to use my action for all the swaps.

This is the major fail of the shouldered barrel swap. A single barrel is married to a single action.

I can take any of my nutted barrels and swap them amongst any of my actions.

No, multiple barrels can be mated to the same action and in the field I don't need to have any headspace gauges either.

Savage6x284
03-21-2014, 07:50 PM
You may be able to change a barrel faster than i can BUT I can change the thickness of the recoil lug and maintain proper headspace or swap actions all out in the field with just a barrel nut wrench and a cartridge which you can not do which now makes your bet null and void or in other words you lose. And to show the ability of the barrel nut system i will use 3 barrels and 3 different thickness lugs and allow anyone to mix and match. Can you do that? I may not have printing lined up on the barrel like a factory barrel but i can do all that and continue to safely use my weapons.

If I wished to, and I don't, I could have any number of barrels for each action and if I kept the recoil lugs paired with their barrels I can use any lug thickness I want. Why a guy would want to switch around lug thicknesses is beyond me since the stock is bedded for one recoil lug.
On top of that my shouldered rigs look immeasurably better than the nutted ones.
I also can spec my reamer however I please to suit my bullet and COAL. Not something often done on a prefit where you get a standard SAAMI chamber cut with a reamer who knows how old. My reamers are always brand new. I can also spec my contour, my cylindrical shank, my crown, and I can order a barrel from ANY barrel maker.
Keep using your prefits, it's no matter to me but I'll continue to custom thread, chamber and fit my barrels without the wart.

geargrinder
03-21-2014, 08:04 PM
No, multiple barrels can be mated to the same action and in the field I don't need to have any headspace gauges either.

You didn't read what I said. Each of your barrels are mated to a specific action.

You cannot use one of your barrels on multiple actions. Only the action it is mated to.

Savage6x284
03-21-2014, 08:42 PM
You didn't read what I said. Each of your barrels are mated to a specific action.

You cannot use one of your barrels on multiple actions. Only the action it is mated to.

Not necessarily.

I could have any number of actions for each barrel with the dimensional differences to the bolt face being accommodated by varying the thickness of the recoil lug. Easy to do on my surface grinder. Only the recoil lug needs to stay mated with the action.

But you guys are right, the barrel nut suits many people very well. Especially if they hate gunsmiths. I like gunsmiths.
My guess is we ain't gonna see D'Arcy Echols make one of his Legend rifles with a barrel nut any time soon.

Finally, my original post in this thread was not to start a urination match. The OP had a specific problem and I suggested ONE possible course of action to solve his problem.

Hotolds442
03-21-2014, 09:01 PM
My guess is we ain't gonna see D'Arcy Echols make one of his Legend rifles with a barrel nut any time soon.
We all said that about Remington, too.

Savage6x284
03-21-2014, 09:06 PM
We all said that about Remington, too.

Only the cheap, crappy Remingtons. No barrel nuts on the 700.
And an Echols Legend is in an entirely different universe than even the 700.

geargrinder
03-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Not necessarily.

I could have any number of actions for each barrel with the dimensional differences to the bolt face being accommodated by varying the thickness of the recoil lug. Easy to do on my surface grinder. Only the recoil lug needs to stay mated with the action.

But you guys are right, the barrel nut suits many people very well. Especially if they hate gunsmiths. I like gunsmiths.

Finally, my original post in this thread was not to start a urination match. The OP had a specific problem and I suggested ONE possible course of action to solve his problem.

You also suggested that the nutless system is superior. What was being pointed out was that there are pros/cons of each.

What you are talking about is a much more complicated process than any of the normal DIY folks around here have the ability to perform. I left my surface grinder in my other pants.