PDA

View Full Version : non-resident hog hunt, on the cheap?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

tufrthnails
03-29-2014, 07:21 AM
That I can definitely understand been working for a year to get our trip to alaska this June scheduled and paid for.

Vince
04-03-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm headed to Texas for a hog hunt.
Best place to look is the Chamber of Commerce in various towns.

the Ranger
04-03-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm headed to Texas for a hog hunt.
Best place to look is the Chamber of Commerce in various towns.

are you using an outfitter or similar deal? because that's not what I want to do.

Vince
04-04-2014, 02:40 AM
are you using an outfitter or similar deal? because that's not what I want to do.

No, I'm leasing a ranch for a day. No hunting license required and the daily lease is $70/Day per person in the hunting party. All 1800 acres is mine to hunt.

thermaler
04-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Non resident seniors still need a license. Goes like this for non resident wanting to hunt hogs on a WMA. 10 day hunting license $46.50, WMA permit $26.50. You nust apply for a quota permit to hunt any WMA that is a lottery draw. THere is no hunting on WMA out of season, which coorespondes with Deer season basically. There is NO baiting on a WMA that is what can make specifically targeting Hogs in FL a bit more difficult. Now that said you need NO license to hunt Hogs in FL on private land per FWC page. You do not need a recreational hunting, freshwater fishing or saltwater fishing license or a *Florida waterfowl, migratory bird, deer, turkey, snook, spiny lobster, archery season, crossbow season, muzzleloading season permit or *management area permit if...

You are a child under 16 years of age (also exempt from federal duck stamp requirements).
You are a Florida resident age 65 or older possessing proof of age and residency or possessing a Resident Senior Citizen Hunting and Fishing Certificate. Residents age 65 or older may obtain, at no cost, complimentary hunting and fishing certificates (http://www.savageshooters.com/license/recreational/faqs/) from county tax collectors' offices.
You hunt or freshwater fish in your county of residence on your homestead or the homestead of your spouse or minor child, or if you are a minor child hunting or freshwater fishing on the homestead of your parent.
You are a Florida resident certified as totally and permanently disabled (http://www.savageshooters.com/license/accessibility/license/) and you possess a Florida Resident Disabled Person Hunting and Fishing License (hunter safety requirements apply).
You are a resident who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, you are not stationed in this state, and you are home on leave for 30 days or less, upon submission of orders.
You are hunting wild hog on private land.
You are observing or filming someone else who is fishing or hunting and you are not assisting (setting decoys, calling birds, etc.) in the take in any way.
You are a disabled veteran or active or reserve duty military service member and his or her immediate family members and an assistant who are participating in a permitted outdoor recreational event, for which the Commission has issued a Military/Disabled Veteran Event License Exemption Permit (http://www.savageshooters.com/license/recreational/do-i-need-a-license/disabled-veteran-event/) to the event organizer.

I hate to mention this until I can find out if it is a possibilty, but I am looking to see if I can get you access to an area that I have guest hunted in La Belle, fl. We can bait there and there is 30,000 acres with a lot of game. I think this is more of a possibilty since you want to hunt Hogs and not Deer.
That makes a lot of sense. Up here in GA and TN hogs have advanced to non-game nuisance status--but for the most part must be taken during a current licensed hunts except on private property--and you still need a license for that unless that property is yours. I have been to La Belle--I recall most of the entire county is privately owned by the brothers who own Oscar Meyer meats or something like that?

I'd be interested in this kind of deal.

Twostepct
04-05-2014, 10:08 PM
I cannot help much with a place to go, but I can tell you what I do. I trap my hogs and shoot them in the head. After I gut them I haul them home and skin them. After I cut the head off and the hocks, I put them on ice for a few days. This, from what I understand, causes the meat to contract and force the blood out. Drain the water daily and replace the ice as needed. I butterfly the back straps and grind everything I can't cut into steaks. I don't taste a "gamey" taste, it's just different and I like it.

the Ranger
04-05-2014, 11:39 PM
I cannot help much with a place to go, but I can tell you what I do. I trap my hogs and shoot them in the head. After I gut them I haul them home and skin them. After I cut the head off and the hocks, I put them on ice for a few days. This, from what I understand, causes the meat to contract and force the blood out. Drain the water daily and replace the ice as needed. I butterfly the back straps and grind everything I can't cut into steaks. I don't taste a "gamey" taste, it's just different and I like it.

thanks for the tips.

yobuck
04-06-2014, 08:48 AM

That sounds like a pretty savy way to hunt hogs in fl. to me. Id be curious about the traps? Im thinking a hog could be pretty tough to hold in place.
Or do they give up easily when caught? Ive heard of guys singeing the hide with a prophane torch before skinning due to parrasites.

Twostepct
04-06-2014, 09:31 AM
The traps are made out of angle iron or square tubing and have what we call hog panels welded up for sides. They are galvanized steel panels that have small rectangle openings on the bottom and they get bigger as they go up. There is a gate that is about half the length of one end that is pulled closed by a heavy spring. When you set it there is a hook that holds the gate open and you set it like you would a spring trap, with very little of the hook holding the gate so it doesn't take much movement to trip it. The hook is connected to a trip cable which is positioned where the corn is poured on the ground. When the root around they trip it and its done. I usually catch two to three at a time.

There are also plans for using only a t post and panels. You can either build a trap with two panels forming a heart and they root and force themselves into the trap via the "v" made by the top of the heart. Yet another is just running the panels and t posts in a circle so that the end overlaps inside of the circle making another v for them to root into and looks like a "6". Either way the ground has to be semi clear so the panel can close behind them.

These only work if you can bait them into the trap. Soured corn works well and I've heard of using corn soured in strawberry coolaid.

thermaler
04-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Whenever I visit FL I always stop off at the Core 15 AR factory in Ocala which is right next to I 75--I think they also make hog and gator traps.

tufrthnails
04-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Only prob is you can't use the baited traps on WMA's in Florida.

tomcat030
04-18-2014, 09:30 PM
I just picked up a model 10 and would like to snag a hog or two. I'm a transplant to the sun coast. Wouldn't mind trading some labor for a hunting opportunity.

Vince
04-25-2014, 11:09 AM
I drove 1900 miles round trip to pay $75/Day to hunt hogs on a Texas ranch.
I'll be doing it again as it was a blast. To me $75 is more than reasonable. Let Google and your telephone do the legwork for you.

sniper15545
04-27-2014, 01:30 PM
I am considering booking a hunt with Woods and Water in southern Georgia, Anybody hunted there?

thermaler
04-27-2014, 01:50 PM
I am considering booking a hunt with Woods and Water in southern Georgia, Anybody hunted there?I have not--but their hunts look mighty interesting--especially a fall whitetail hunt where you can bag a trophy buck, doe and hog for $700 which includes guide and lodging.