PDA

View Full Version : Criterion or Mcgowen

KTP
03-16-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm in the process of building a rifle and in the past have been spoiled by Criterion barrels. The only limitation I see with them is they offer limited barrel contours for Savage shooters. McGowan seems to have a few more hunting contours. I have no experience with Mcgowen barrels. Please share your experiences.

foxx
03-16-2014, 09:08 PM
My only aftermarket barrel so far is a McGowen 260AI with Varmint contour. It regularly shoots better than 1/3rd in at 100yds. Cleans well. Shipped right away. Dennis was quick to reach out to offer help when he read a post where I initially had trouble getting loads made from 1x fired brass to chamber. Turns out I simply needed to use virgin brass (to start) b/c the chamber was made so tight.

Could not be happier with it.

From what I read, all of these aftermarket barrels in $300+ range are good. Boils down to availability and service. Service is important b/c everyone is capable of making a mistake or a product that does not live up to even their own standards. In that rare instance, what matters is how the person/mfr responds. All I hear is good about McGowen service.

BarrelBurner
03-16-2014, 11:19 PM
I couldn't be happier with my mcGowen. It's a shooter and cleans up easy.

Dennis
03-17-2014, 01:17 AM
My only aftermarket barrel so far is a McGowen 260AI with Varmint contour. It regularly shoots better than 1/3rd in at 100yds. Cleans well. Shipped right away. Dennis was quick to reach out to offer help when he read a post where I initially had trouble getting loads made from 1x fired brass to chamber. Turns out I simply needed to use virgin brass (to start) b/c the chamber was made so tight.

Could not be happier with it.

From what I read, all of these aftermarket barrels in $300+ range are good. Boils down to availability and service. Service is important b/c everyone is capable of making a mistake or a product that does not live up to even their own standards. In that rare instance, what matters is how the person/mfr responds. All I hear is good about McGowen service.

foxx . . . I don't think I ever heard back from you, but I am gald to hear all is OK with your barrel. Anything else, just let me know.

Dennis

82boy
03-17-2014, 10:23 AM
I have owned both, and can say both are good barrels.

mudpig
03-17-2014, 12:07 PM
I had a 270 Gibbs barrel done up with my own custom reamer and the barrel is a marvelous shooter (1/4-1/2 MOA dependant on me...not the barrel). It cleans up well and looks awesome. I couldn't be happier with my purchase!!!