PDA

View Full Version : Unusually Tight Chamber

Pages : 1 [2]

PAPERKILLER
04-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Yea, the guy with the lathe WAS a fiend...He figured out how to wrestle a barrel that had been in place for 70 years without bending or breaking anything. Then he was able to set up his 60 year old lathe and finish reaming the chamber with my directions I had read on the net. He did a great job thought, the headspace was within a thousandth when we dropped the bolt on the go gauge. I learned a lot on that rifle. After chambering the $150 Adams & Bennett stainless fluted barrel, I free floated the barrel and then bedded it. I got into reloading and was able to hold MOA to 300 yards after breaking in the evil rough barrel with some basic reloads. I really like to tinker with rifle building/ tuning. So that's how I started this Savage build. I thought at the time that half of the accuracy in a rifle was the quality of the barrel, so bought a Shilen match barrel and screwed it to a model 12 receiver. I picked up a nice long range target stock and bedded the recoil lug. It seems really hard to bed the rear action screw with the trigger configuration. There is a pillar bedded there, but it actually doesn't contact the action. There is a bracket for the magazine sandwiched between the pillar top and the action. The stock is inlet for the bracket and I don't think the action is actually contacting it. I think it is causing some vibration. I can just hold MOA with this rifle to 300 yards. I really wanted to shot out to 600 yards, but wha'ts the point if I'm shooting 8 or 10 inch "groups". I took the rifle apart today (had to tap the barreled action out with a rubber mallet as the recoil lug is that tight, didn't use tape on the front of the recoil lug). I had some pond liner material that is .040 thick and cut a small square washer to try to tighten up the rear action to pillar and stock.

BillPa, Thanks for the idea of using a 7mm socket for a comparator. I measured a bunch of bullets and was getting much more accurate reading from ogive to case head. I had noticed the vagerites of OAL from one round to another, up to 10 or 12 thous. (I am shooting seconds). But the comparator lengths are much more consistant.