PDA

View Full Version : threaded barrels

lonestardiver
03-16-2014, 03:17 PM
How consistent (bore concentricity) is the factory threaded on the suppressor ready barrels ?
I'm fixing to get a sparrow or spectre II and I am trying to figure out if I want to have my barrels threaded by a gunsmith or buy a new one already threaded.

I don't think I will have my CZ threaded so I'll be getting another 22mag in it's place.
My 17hmr (savage) will probably see the gunsmith...
My remington 581s will see the gunsmith.
My crackbarrel NEF 22lr will also see the gunsmith (great for around the home varmint and feral cat control).

BoilerUP
03-16-2014, 04:41 PM
No issues with baffle strikes on my FV-SR and Huntertown Guardian.

lonestardiver
03-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Excellent...that's good to know.

HotGuns
03-16-2014, 04:56 PM
That depends entirely on the gunsmith.

Good gunsmiths know that they must go off of the bore and cut the threads concentric to the bore.
Others don't know that, they dial in on the outer diameter of it and cut threads. The problem is, very few outer diameters are concentric to the bore.

With that being said...just because it comes from the factory doesn't mean it will be right. I've had to redo several Browning Buckmarks that weren't threaded to the shoulder where the suppressor needs to index to square it up. The threads quit about an 1/8 in front of the shoulder and the cans mounted on them were shooting all over the place with no accuracy at all. A simple fix was to cut a relief where there should have been one to begin with. That resulted in the suppressor indexing where it needed to and the rest of the shots were right on target.

lonestardiver
03-16-2014, 05:11 PM
I know the good gunsmith will use a live center (to index on the bore) and in the end will have to re-crown...which is fine.
Main thing is to determine is the QC at Savage is good enough to do it right from the factory or should I have it done locally ?

HotGuns
03-16-2014, 05:14 PM
I haven't run into a Savage yet that had issues with being concentric. I'd just go with the factory barrels and save the expense of a gunsmith doing it.

lonestardiver
03-16-2014, 05:18 PM
That's what I was hoping to validate.

Thanks !

sinman
03-16-2014, 06:40 PM
I know the good gunsmith will use a live center (to index on the bore) and in the end will have to re-crown...which is fine.
Main thing is to determine is the QC at Savage is good enough to do it right from the factory or should I have it done locally ?

No a good gunsmith will use an indicating rod and dial indicator to dial in to as close to perfect as they can ( I go .0002").