PDA

View Full Version : Before and After

Pages : 1 [2]

Remingtonman
04-15-2014, 08:12 PM
For a change I remembered to take a pic of the original project rifle before tearing it apart.

Before:

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/glennbom/057_zpsfbd4bfe5.jpg

and After:

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/glennbom/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02-19205039_zps3f20075e.png

Nice looking build barrel burner. What caliber is your Shaw barrel in? Im thinking about getting one from shaw in .204ruger but had heard rumors that these barrels werent of very good quality for a build. What is your view on a shaw barrel?

BarrelBurner
04-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks Remingtonman.
This one is chambered in .280 ack imp.

I really have no complaints about these barrels, but I'm not shooting them in match level competition.
Accuracy-wise I was pleasantly surprised , the .280 ack shoots in the .5's but may do better but I stopped load development on the fourth batch of loads and have been shooting those ever since. It was intended as 500yd and less hunting rifle so i figured that was good to go.

The other 2 barrels do a little better. One is pretty consistent at .3's (no BS, have numerous reference targets) with some .2's here and there, the other was the exact same barrel and usually ran in the .4's.

I did pre-lap these by hand before shooting the first rounds. I don't know how much difference it made but it didn't seem to hurt anything and maybe made them a bit easier to clean.
I've purchased all of them within the last 3yrs so I can't say what they were like prior to this. I'm waiting on a fourth barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor from them which I'm hoping to see fairly soon.
If you go with them, just be prepared for a wait, I was told 6-8 mos for this last one and I'm at about 6 mos right now.

Remingtonman
04-16-2014, 05:33 PM
thanks for the info barrel burner.did you float and bed the action on your .280 AI?

BarrelBurner
04-16-2014, 10:13 PM
I did both, Action is bedded in Devcon with pillars installed and barrel is free floated.