PDA

View Full Version : bottom bolt release to top release

rug380
03-15-2014, 09:17 PM
guys this has been hammered to death but im new to the game. where can I get the one piece sear to convert my mod 11 to top bolt release and what part number. thanks

drybean
03-15-2014, 09:26 PM
you will have to mill the side of your receiver so a top release /sear will fit

drybean

rug380
03-15-2014, 09:31 PM
does it require a lot of milling?

Westcliffe01
03-15-2014, 09:37 PM
You might want to try this part number

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.htm?s=999180

I do not know how many different sears there were for 10/110/12/112/116 but typically they are listed as out of stock. The ones above are in stock for $13. Savage will probably only sell a sear to a gunsmith, like a trigger. I now see that Numrich is listing export restrictions on many of these parts too.

drybean
03-15-2014, 09:38 PM
yep, do not try it with a flat file
do not think that you can bend one without breaking it
best to send it to smith & buy a sear

drybean

Westcliffe01
03-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Having the sear in hand will make it clear how much material would interfere. A clearance cut is a relatively simple operation.

rug380
03-15-2014, 10:42 PM
thanks guys i just built a 6.5x47 and i have the fever. is this the way to go on the bottom bolt release actions or should i stay away from them?

Westcliffe01
03-15-2014, 11:01 PM
Going with a side release will open up more stock options than with bottom release. Stock options are already skinny as it is. So it is probably a good investment if you have a stock in mind that is intended for a side release. You can get the model 12 laminate stocks from the 12 LPV on Numrich for $148 new. That is a better deal than anything else on the market. I wish I could find one of those for a long action...

rug380
03-15-2014, 11:07 PM
I put a choate tactical on the lapua. it lacks a little in the quality dept but all in all its ok 199$ at eabco. I am real satisfied with the criterian bbl though. is the stevens 200 rifle a good doner?

Westcliffe01
03-15-2014, 11:12 PM
A stevens will need a replacement trigger for sure. I would always look for a model 10 or a model 12 or a 110/112 if looking for a long action. I would get a DBM version too. Going that route gives the best options and you are starting with the best hardware. With a model 12 you potentially get a decent stock too. Botom metal, magazines and trigger add up real fast and I am not impressed by aftermarket triggers for the Savage yet. The less you need to add, the lower your final cost and the quicker you are done.

rug380
03-15-2014, 11:56 PM
I heard that rifle basix is good but cost is around 150$. I like the accutrigger ok. It just takes some getting used to. What's your favorite round for mid to long range? Do you like shelin? I wonder about the accuracy bbls at eabco

foxx
03-16-2014, 12:18 AM
rifle basix sav-1 is $85 at Northland Shooter Supply.
Sav-2 is more like $150.
SSS Competition Trigger $102.

I have not tried Sav-2, but Sav-1 and SSS Comp are both nice, though they don't go below 1 lb.

I have had both good and bad accutriggers. Target and Varmint versions are supposedly better than regular... Surprisingly, my best Accutrigger is a "regular", not sure why I have had such inconsistent experiences.

Westcliffe01
03-16-2014, 09:53 PM
I did not like the Sav 2 I got my hands on at all. Just a sloppy piece of junk. I would not spend $50 on crap like that. I would like to try the SSS trigger, since it seems like the only game in town. Good thing one can buy it at Midway or Brownells since I will not deal directly with SSS. Their customer service reputation really sucks, especially since last year.

Tha accutrigger will never be a Timney or a jewel. That is a simple fact.

Favorite round ? Boy, how long is a piece of string ???

If you want something you can sell easily, one would say 308 with a varmint barrel and set up tactical looking.

If you want something that will actually shoot good, I would say 6.5x55 or even 6.5x47 Lapua. Quality components are available for either and it is very efficient (powder charge) relative to what it delivers downrange. Get into magnum cartridges and you need over a lb of powder for 100 rounds... The only magnum that is on my short list is the 7RM.

I heard that rifle basix is good but cost is around 150$. I like the accutrigger ok. It just takes some getting used to. What's your favorite round for mid to long range? Do you like shelin? I wonder about the accuracy bbls at eabco

rug380
03-16-2014, 11:27 PM
I have a 6.5-47 lapua I am very happy with. I just got my hands on a 308 model 11 bottom bolt release that is going to be a go to rifle for varmint or steel. just cant decide on what to put in it. anyone ever had any experience with 22-250ai?

Nandy
03-18-2014, 11:49 PM
do not think that you can bend one without breaking it
drybean

You can bend it with the right tools. I made my 10 tropy into a top release. The clearance needed is very small. Actually, I could almost make mine work out of the box but that will scratch the receiver and the sear would get stuck too. I used my oxyacetylene torch to heat it with a #3 (if I recall right) harris welding tip. I hit it for about 3 seconds and that is all it took to get it red and malleable to bend the 1 or 2 mm so you have complete clearance. Do not try to bend it without applying heat or it will crack. This open up my rifle to a lot more stocks. You will still have to clear the stock a bit too but that is easily done with the wooding cut tool of your choice.

Good luck!