PDA

View Full Version : What rings and bases on my Trophy Hunter xp?

Pages : [1] 2

amayer
03-15-2014, 02:35 PM
I know there are a good many threads on the Trophy Hunter packages. I see a lot on upgrading. I'd like to know what rings and bases I have on the gun. It's a 111 30-06. I just bought it this month.

The bases look like Ironsighter two piece weaver style but don't exactly match the pics I've seem of the Ironsighters. The rings have no markings either. The rings have single allen screws on each side for tightening on tube. The rings on our long guns at work have double screws on each side.

I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually. Burris 2 piece extreme tactical bases have good ratings and are very similar to what's on my gun. Just wondering what these are.

Thanks,
Andy

ChicagoJoe
03-15-2014, 03:02 PM
I recently bought a Trophy Hunter XP and the first thing I did when I got it home was remove the provided Weaver bases and scope mounts. I installed Talley lightweight medium height mounts, since they have performed well on my other rifles and they are relatively inexpensive.

Even if you keep the factory Weaver bases and mounts, I recommend that you properly torque all the screws with Loc-tite and bore-sight the scope yourself. I have read too many stories about guys who cannot shoot a group with a new package rifle, only to discover that the scope is moving all over the place because it was not properly installed by the factory or retailer.

Have fun with your new rifle.

emtrescue6
03-15-2014, 03:12 PM
They are made by Weaver I believe....nothing special, just pain ole Weaver bases....they will work a lifetime if properly mounted and maintained. I am not a huge fan f them, but have a coupe rifles that wear Weaver bases and truth be told, I can't complain and have never had a set of Weavers fail...only set of rings/bases I ever have had fail were a set of Leupold dove tails that the previous owner had over tightened.

amayer
03-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the responses. How do I find out the proper pounds of torque for rings and bases? I know we had a 65 lb torque wrench in our kit that I'd use on the rings on my M24.

emtrescue6
03-15-2014, 06:42 PM
If I recall correctly Weaver torque specs for bases are between 15 and 25 INCH/pounds....and 15-20 INCH/Pounds for rings....

xsskeet
03-15-2014, 08:52 PM
The last two (111 and 11) I swapped out, I just changed out the rings to Burris Signature Z rings keeping the existing weaver mounts.

Nothing wrong with the weaver bases. As pointed out above... Check to make sure they installed and torqued correctly. I pop them loose, and re-torque them after putting a little loctite blue 242 on the threads. Never had one come loose using that, but lets you pop them loose if you need to take them off..

tufrthnails
03-17-2014, 09:05 AM
I had serious issues getting my 111 XP to group with the factory mount and rings even after pulling them and re-installing them. I went to DNZ one piece game reaper mount and ring($64) and it shoots better then I do now I am a little over 1" group with 5 rounds @100yards, but a buddy that is a bit more skilled then I was shooting under "1 groups fairly regularly. Mind you it took 40ish rounds through it before it even got to shooting 4" groups with the old rings.

bad_bowtie
03-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Swapped out the factory rings on my 10xp to the one piece DNZ, before I ever shot it. All my rifles will be swapped to DNZ eventually.

savasamp
08-23-2014, 12:00 PM
I had serious issues getting my 111 XP to group with the factory mount and rings even after pulling them and re-installing them. I went to DNZ one piece game reaper mount and ring($64) and it shoots better then I do now I am a little over 1" group with 5 rounds @100yards, but a buddy that is a bit more skilled then I was shooting under "1 groups fairly regularly. Mind you it took 40ish rounds through it before it even got to shooting 4" groups with the old rings.

Can u tell me what part number you used on the dnz game reaper? Im assuming you kept the nikon scope that came with the gun. Thanks

Clint
08-24-2014, 11:37 AM
I also picked up DNZ one piece scope mount. Replaced the Nikon with a 4-12 Vortex Crossfire II. Added a Butler Creek sling and caldwell bipod.

savgebolt
08-30-2014, 09:41 AM
I have DNZ on all 3 of my rifles,,,,,i like them

savasamp
08-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Im keeping the nikon scope that came with my trophy hunter xp. Do I need low or medium dnz mount?

Clint
08-30-2014, 08:14 PM
I believe a low will work. Check DNZ website. I got medium and have a little extra room. Think I could have got the low.

savasamp
08-30-2014, 09:09 PM
I believe a low will work. Check DNZ website. I got medium and have a little extra room. Think I could have got the low.

Thanks for the quick reply :) I need to get my rifle sighted in and all that is available in town is the medium. Probably just get the medium. How much room ya think you got between scope and barrel?

Clint
08-30-2014, 09:10 PM
It's not much. Let me check my pics to see if I have one

Clint
08-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Only pic I have right now. I'm working Graves right now or I'd get a better pic and measurement. I don't remember where I read that lows would work but I may be wrong.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/30/fc65913d2027860d65cc45a14589f0f0.jpg

Clint
08-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Found this on SH forum via Bing search. They found this on DNZ website. I am happy with my medium but would prefer low obviously if it fits. I just bought what I could get locally as well. May get lows later on.

from the website:

"*The extra low mounts fit all 32MM objective scopes and some 40MM objective scopes. *All of our low mounts will fit plain bell 40MM objective scopes and some 44MM objective scopes. *Medium mounts fit all 44MM objective scopes and most 50MM plain bell objective scopes. *High mounts fit all 50MM objective scopes and most 56MM objective scopes."

savasamp
08-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Wow thanks Clint. That is very helpful! Thanks for the pic

Clint
08-30-2014, 09:30 PM
No problem. Keep in mind that I switch to a AO Vortex so my objective bell is probably slightly larger than the Nikon.

LT1SS
09-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Talking to an gun salesman who had purchased a 110 30-06 for himself suggested the Warn Medium rings. He like the extra room for working the bolt action and extra space for shell ejection. He is using the weaver bases and has not had any issues with the setup.