PDA

View Full Version : Scope base bolt size?!?

RollinCoal24v
03-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Ok, so I have a stupid weaver base on my 10fp. I'll be ordering a EGW, this is the 3rd time it has come loose during a range trip. Anyway the threads have stripped off of one of the bolts. I want new bolts and some red loc-tite. I'm going to dowel one of the bolt holes at a machine shop as well.

So what size are the bolts that hold the scope base on?

barrel-nut
03-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Should be 6-48. If you're gonna be paying for machine shop work anyway, you might consider upgrading to 8-32's.

n4ue
03-15-2014, 03:12 PM
Gee, sorry about your luck.
Before I install a mount on a new rifle, I always ensure that there are no burrs around the screw holes on the receiver. Ditto on the bottom of the bases.
Not be be insulting, but Weaver bases come with 2 different length screws. Once I tighten the screws (with red Locktite), I tap the end of the screwdriver with a plastic mallet while applying torque.
I've been using torque wrenches since working on weapons in the Navy. There are some excellent tutorials on the WWW concerning fasteners, lockwashers, etc. Seems the latest trend is toward chemical fasteners and away from split ring lock washers. I also know when I rebuild an engine for one of my hot rods, the connecting rod bolts are measured for stretch, instead of torque.
ARP also has some great info on fastener tech....FWIW....

ron

buxman66
03-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Drill, tap to 8-32 thread. Some moron p.o. used the red loctite on my 10fp and I broke the head off trying to back the stock threaded 6-48 screws out. Use BLUE loctite and w/some heat from a soldering iron you can undo it in the future if necessary.

cranebird
03-15-2014, 09:46 PM
They make a Purple Loctite 222 that would be good for the smaller base screws.