PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: So NOW, How Do I Do THIS...please..

Silvercrow1
03-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Gonna pillar bed my MK II Classic .22LR. Got the lamp rod and bought a small set of Forstner bits.

I had successfully bored out the receiver mounting holes in my 110 LA, but theres not much room for error on the stock of my MK II. Since there are already holes existing for the receiver mount, how would I best assure that the bit is aligned properly? How would I best get the forstner bit centered over the existing holes? The stock is an OEM thumbhole. Earlier version (does not have the "vent holes" in the forearm / barrel area).

Thanks- hoping to do it over the weekend here. I do have access to a drill press...

Brian

Silvercrow1
03-15-2014, 10:57 PM
Anyone??
Please?
There must be some "trick" or technique to align this correctly...

Brian

KRP
03-15-2014, 11:44 PM
Piloted forstner bit...or align the pillar with the hole, scribe the stock, then align the bit with the scribe marks.

Texas Solo
03-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Or skip the bit and file the hole out a little at a time. Worked for me with a $1 Harbor Freight file.

Smokey262
03-16-2014, 01:36 PM
How about inserting a dowel with a pre-marked center spot so you can locate the forstner bit more accurately?

thomae
03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
I bought the set of forstner bits (#1903) at Harbor Freight. The shaft size was the same size as the hole in my stock (it was for a centerfeed stock, but should work for a rimfire stock), probably .25" and the back of the forstner bit was sharp enough to slowly cut the wood, I put the shaft of the bit in the hole from the bottom (so the shaft acted as the pilot), then chucked it in the drill, put the drill in reverse and pulled the bit through the wood backwards.

If that makes sense, let me know. If not, I'll try to explain better.

Silvercrow1
03-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Piloted forstner bit...or align the pillar with the hole, scribe the stock, then align the bit with the scribe marks.

AHA! Wish I could think of things like this...just not mechanically inclined I guess:crutch:

Thanks KRP!

Brian

Silvercrow1
03-17-2014, 12:55 PM
I bought the set of forstner bits (#1903) at Harbor Freight. The shaft size was the same size as the hole in my stock (it was for a centerfeed stock, but should work for a rimfire stock), probably .25" and the back of the forstner bit was sharp enough to slowly cut the wood, I put the shaft of the bit in the hole from the bottom (so the shaft acted as the pilot), then chucked it in the drill, put the drill in reverse and pulled the bit through the wood backwards.

If that makes sense, let me know. If not, I'll try to explain better.

Makes perfect sense! Unfortunately it won't work in my case because my set, made by Ryobi, all have a 2-2.5" shaft and then have a 3/8 (I think) 3 sided shank at the end (end that goes into the drill chuck). Great idea though! Brian

Silvercrow1
03-17-2014, 03:08 PM
My thanks to you all! All you folks had great ideas..

Ended up using KRP's suggestion-thanks Bro.! That front hole didn't leave much room- BUT I got it bored out without breaking through the wood on the mag. well side (Whew!).

The lamp rod screwed in- marked and cut it leaving it a wee bit proud top and bottom. Mixed up a little JB Clear weld and then screwed the rods in, using a needle-nosed pliers closed and inserted into the lamp rod holes. Looks good and aligns well- now to wait for the epoxy to set...

Have a bottom metal coming from SavageGunsmithing (really nice folks, BTW). Hoping this will allow me to squeeze a little more accuracy from my gun.

Thanks again! BTW- this is a sickness- seriously, I'm obsessed with this stuff! If anyone would have told me a year and a half ago I'd be pillar bedding stocks and doing the stuff I've been doing gun-wise I'd have laughed them to scorn! I love it!!

Brian