PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mounting Issue

COplains
03-14-2014, 12:27 AM
I have a 110 flat back and trying to figure out a mounting system to get the scope back further. I have an EGW 0 MOA rail on it now along with Weaver 6 screw tactical rings. The scope tube only has ~5" of body to work with. I can cut the front of the rail to allow more room for the objective bell, maybe enough, but I'd like to know if there is another way before I cut it and it still doesn't work. I'm trying to get the scope back for eye relief. Are there any mounting systems for the flat back that will move it rearward and not interfere with the bolt (that shouldn't be a problem but I don't know for certain). Thanks, kb

scnewt
03-14-2014, 02:36 AM
Sounds like you're in need of taller rings.

COplains
03-15-2014, 01:21 PM
I'm trying to avoid that if I can. I try and keep the scope as low as possible. Has anyone used the 'extended' rings Weaver makes? I'm thinking I can at least keep the ring mountiung base placement on the rail forward of the ejection port or whatever I can come up with. All I could find from Weaver showed 'high' rings, any med or low available?

Thanks, kb

thomae
03-28-2014, 08:36 PM
On some of my scope/mount combinations (EGW rails and Burris Signatrue Zee Rings) I have a) shortened the rail in front and /or b) flattened the top of the rail to the level of of he bottom of the slots (not the whole rail, just one or two slots worth) so that my objective bell could overhang the end of the rail when I moved the scope as far rearward as I needed in order to get my ideal sight picture.

COplains
03-29-2014, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=thomae;253264]On some of my scope/mount combinations (EGW rails and Burris Signatrue Zee Rings) I have a) shortened the rail in front

That I have to do no matter what else is done. The extended rings look as if they will add additional help in the setback, esp for the rear mount, won't have a base hanging out past the end of the rail. Just thinking (sic) out loud, as usual. Thanks for the input.

Westcliffe01
03-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Is it such a great scope that it justifies mutilating the rail ? Most decent scopes have enough tube to work with.

sixonetonoffun
03-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Nothing to gain having extra rail under the scopes bell. Be no harm IMHO.

COplains
03-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Trimming the front of the rail, done with some care and using the underneath arc angle isn't even noticeable and doesn't prevent using the rail on a different rifle should there ever be a reason.

bootsmcguire
03-29-2014, 05:13 PM
I have had to use extended base rings (weaver IIRC) to be able to mount shorter tubed scopes on Savage long actions with 2 pc bases (I normally use 2pc bases for hunting guns for the ease in loading with cold hands and gloves). Worked great for me, and in the case of the 7mm Rem Mag I built that had those rings, it consistently shot well under 1/2MOA so my feelings were that the rings did their job along with everything else.

COplains
03-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks boots, just the information I was looking for. kb

JDUB007
03-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Just a thought if you don't mind a two piece the Burris Xtreme Tactical Bases might work for you...Burris part #410620
they are nice, steel, and not too expensive