PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Rimfire FTF (fail to fire) Info. Please?

Silvercrow1
03-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Hey all- been "working out" my new 93R17 TR. It's a real "shooter" and though I've got some pics, they haven't made their way into Photobucket yet. Soon I hope.

Even better- it seems to like everything I've put through it. Winchester, Hornady and Federal so far. Seems to like the Winchester best, as did my previous .17 HMR- a Marlin. BUT, using the Winchester "Supreme" last outing (Tuesday), I had 5 fail-to-fires in a 50 round box. So far there is less than 100 rounds down the tube. Broke in the barrel using a mix of ammo. first outing, and this second time only brought the Winchester. In all five instances, when I reloaded and "indexed" the round in the mag., they fired second time. In all cases, the "hits" on the rim seems the same- comparing the "first-round-fails" to the second hit on the case rim, and also the rounds that fired 1st time no problem.

So I'd guess that it's an ammo. problem as opposed to a gun / bolt/ firing pin problem?

So far at 50 yards, groups are in the high .3xxx" range- adjusted center to center.

One other question- I want to post pics of my new baby, as well as pics of the experiment I'm doing with the .22LR ammo. Is there any problem posting such pics on this forum, or are the Mods encouraging us to post pics in the "Pic" forum/area?

Thanks for any input!

Brian

J.Baker
03-14-2014, 08:00 AM
I would agree that it appears to be an ammo problem if there's no obvious difference between the first FP strike and the second. As for pic's you can post them here. The picture board is more for the posts solely dedicated to showing off your guns so they aren't cluttering up the other (more technical in nature) boards.

Silvercrow1
03-14-2014, 11:05 AM
I would agree that it appears to be an ammo problem if there's no obvious difference between the first FP strike and the second. As for pic's you can post them here. The picture board is more for the posts solely dedicated to showing off your guns so they aren't cluttering up the other (more technical in nature) boards.

THANKS-Jim! Brian

bflee
03-14-2014, 11:27 AM
It does the same in my 93.

bremereric
03-14-2014, 03:18 PM
I have had problems with all kinds of ammo so I would blame it. I haven't tried the copy paste thing here yet but there are no rule against posting pictures in your threads/posts.

Silvercrow1
03-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Uh-Oh...Well, I'll be trying more ammo. in it soon. If it is the gun- is anyone doing anything about it (meaning is Savage aware it may be a widespread problem)? I'd hate to have to send it back being I just got it. But I dont need a bunch of FTFs either...

I was initially worried about the mag- had read some had problems with the mag feeding/issues on the 93s. My previous .17HMR (Marlin) had a REAL sloppy mag system- but some small tweaks and it fed alright.. Having no problems so far with the mag on this one.

Brian

bflee
03-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Its the ammo. I have four different kinds and all work fine but the winchester. It groups great when it shoots. The ones that dont fire are put in a box for my 22wmr pistol. They shoot in it fine. There is something about the winchester rimfire primer that doesnt like the thin firing pin on the 93. The big round pin on the pistol will fire them every time. I have alot of them with firing pin marks that are deep and heavy but they dont fire. Dont lose any sleep over it and buy a different brand.

bflee
03-14-2014, 08:46 PM
If the mag wiggles bend the magazine guide forward until it quits wiggling and it will work great. Its not as much an issue as some make it oit to be. I bought my dad one for Christmas and it was loose and didnt like to load the first round. Bent the mag guide forward just a little and all is good.

Silvercrow1
03-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks bflee. IT FIGURES! My Marlin ONLY liked the Winchester...so I have a ton of it on hand. Thankfully my Savage likes what I've fed it so far...Brian

bflee
03-14-2014, 09:17 PM
Yes Silvercrow1, the marlins will shoot them. I have a friend who has one, but my Savage outshoots it! The hornady 30 grain really shines in mine and can shoot 1/2" groups. The winchester groups as good, if it shoots. I just hate that click when I pull the trigger! I have been saving my hornady for target and shooting some cci I picked up from wally world. They only group around 1 1/2 or so but the crows have really been soaking them up! Have fun with it. I am sure it will shoot well.

bflee
03-14-2014, 09:20 PM
I just noticed yours is a 17. They still do the same. They have the same parent case. Your 17 will probably even shoot tighter than the 22wmr. But if it shoots tighter than mine with the Hornady you will have to cloverleaf them!