PDA

View Full Version : 11VT compatibility -

monkeybiz192
03-12-2014, 09:26 PM
I am contemplating the 11VT for my first Savage purchase. Does the 11VT accept the same aftermarket barrels (same action)as the 10 series? Sorry for the nube question, new to forum and the is so much great information here. I haven't had time to read everything.

A very nice man at the range let send a couple rounds down range with his Savage........I must have one.

Thanks in advance

Hotolds442
03-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Barrel threads are the same. There are two different shank diameters though. Most all of the actions chambered for WSM, SAUM, and Ultra Mag will have the larger shank.

Texas Solo
03-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Yes, same barrel availability. If you order a barrel, get a new barrel not too (the old style with the groves for wrench)
The drawback to the 11VT is that the only aftermarket trigger available is the Rifle Basix Sav 1, which isn't that much different than the original Accutrigger. The Sav2 trigger won't work with the bottom bolt release. You're also quite limited in aftermarket stock choices. AFAIK, only the Choate stock will work with the bottom bolt release.
You may care to check out the Savage #12 models instead.

monkeybiz192
03-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Thank you for the response. Texas Sole, is it the bolt release location for the 11VT the same as the 10FCP K? Since you pointed that out, I looked at some pictures and I see the difference now.

Any thoughts on the composite mag well?

Thanks a bunch.

Texas Solo
03-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Not familiar with the 10FCP K, but there are only two styles of bolt release...top & bottom. The newer bottom release has some limitations for aftermarket stuff, like stocks and triggers. It is located in front of the trigger guard.
There are also two different mag well styles witin the bottom bolt release guns. The original has the "bottom metal" (really plastic) as a separate, removable piece. This is good as you can switch it out with better stuff. It seems the later models don't have "bottom metal", but have incorporated the mag well as part of the stock. Not a good thing for when you decide to change stocks. With this style, it becomes necessary to purchase separate pieces at an additional cost.
We're talking magwells or bottom metal here, not the mag itself....which is also plastic, and replaceable at an additional cost.
If you're going to want to modify the rifle, look at the model 12's. Yeah, they cost more, but their worth it.

monkeybiz192
03-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks TS. I looked at the 11VT at the store. It has the bottom bolt release and the composite magwell. From what I've been able to gather, this one is the center feed so it would be attached to stock (which is really flimsy). I'm having trouble finding a stock that doesn't need to be inletted. I like the 12, I'm trying to do this on a tight budget.

Trying to find a solid, inexpensive platform to build on.

Do you know of any stocks that accept the factory DBM as a drop in fit for the bottom bolt release?

Thanks

Hotolds442
03-14-2014, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure what the 11VT is going for, or what caliber you're looking for, but if it's 223 or 308, look at the hog hunter. It's a perfect starting rifle for a precision build. You can pick one up for around 400-450 new, throw a Boyd's on it for $100, and order the DBM surround and magazine box bottom for less than $100. The blind magazine converts to a DBM with the simple addition of the bottom, and for around 650 you've got a very nice tack driver that has the ability to also accept a supressor if you ever desire to go that direction.

monkeybiz192
03-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks 442. Does the HH accept the same after market barrels as the 10 series? Do you have any thoughts on brands of bottom metal (price & ease of installation)?

Thanks

Texas Solo
03-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Trying to find a solid, inexpensive platform to build on.

Do you know of any stocks that accept the factory DBM as a drop in fit for the bottom bolt release?

Thanks

You might want to look for a used Mdl #10. As long as it has top bolt release, you should easily be able to get the other stuff you want.
My understanding is that the Chaote Tactical stock will accept the bottom bolt release actions, but you'll still need to order the bottom metal and mag from a different rifle to complete the build.

monkeybiz192
03-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks TS. I guess anything HS Precision or Bell & Carlson will have have the inlet cut if I want a DBM.

Hotolds442
03-15-2014, 01:34 PM
The action on the Hog Hunter will accept any model 10,11,12,14, or 16 small shank part you want to put on it. Since it's a center feed action, it comes with the magazine box you need to snap into the Savage short action DBM surround. The magazine box is used in all three versions, DBM, hinged floorplate, or blind magazine. Any stock Inletted for any of the above model numbers will work with the Hog Hunter as long as the bolt spacing is correct. Bolt release is on the top. Add the DBM bottom plate to the magazine box, and buy a DBM surround from Savage, and you're golden.

monkeybiz192
03-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Awesome 442. Would I use the factory magazine box on a CDI DBM, or does the magazine replace that particular piece? Appreciate your knowledge and feedback. Thanks

Hotolds442
03-15-2014, 07:18 PM
You'd need an aftermarket magazine for the CDI, the Savage mag boxes won't work. You'd need either CDI, or Accuracy International mags with the new CDI hardware. Ruger scout/Savage scout mags may also be an option.

monkeybiz192
03-15-2014, 08:01 PM
I have never disassembled a Savage. Having trouble picturing the internals, but that makes complete sense now. Let's go hog hunter shopping now.
Thanks again for the info 442!

Hotolds442
03-15-2014, 08:42 PM
You're welcome. Be sure to check out Bud's, their prices are pretty tough to beat.

monkeybiz192
03-15-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm a big fan of Buds. Spend lots of money there.

Thanks again.

fastbob49
03-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Check Cabela's for their Savage model 11 Prairie Dog in 223 or 22-250 for $400. It is same as Savage 12 FV with shorter barrel. It has upper bolt release and blind magazine.