PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10FCP-K Barrel Crooked?

mhw0001
03-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey guys, I need some advice.

I just picked up this rifle and mounted a Millett TRS-1 (claimed 100 moa elevation range) on medium Burris Xtr rings on a two piece flat Burris picatinny base.

When I bore sight the rifle I can only use the very top 5-10% of my elevation. What's the deal? Is it possible that the barrel is crooked? I leveled the action and put a level on the barrel, it was off a bit but I attribute that to the taper.

What am I doing wrong?

hank440
03-16-2010, 05:25 PM
did you put the mount on backwards ? ;D

mhw0001
03-16-2010, 05:29 PM
well believe it or not I considered that. They measure to within .002. I tried switching them with no improvements.

DreamMaker
03-16-2010, 10:06 PM
If I understand your post, you are saying you can only get on target with the last 5-10% of your scopes up elevation? My first thought is you shouldn't need mid rings for your rifle. I'm using low Burris Extreme rings on a cheap set of Weaver mounts. This setup allows me to get the scope very close to the barrel - normally a good practice.

How is the rifle grouping? Even if your barrel is off - it still should group consistently. If it's not grouping within a couple of inches, then something is moving between shots (scope internals, rings, ring mounts or action). Until you get things sorted out, do your testing at 50 yards or less. Get someone else to shoot your rifle and see if they get get similar or different results.

Good luck.

J.Baker
03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Did you lap your rings? They could be putting the scope in a bind if the action is warped more than usual (and they're all warped from the factory to some degree).

mhw0001
03-17-2010, 11:28 PM
I will try laping my rings. Also going to try a one piece flat picatinny scope base. I think the scope is getting torqued a bit.

thirty06
03-18-2010, 06:50 AM
What type of bore sighter did you use?
I haven't had good luck with bore sighters.
Have you tried it on paper?

oldguy
03-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Had same problem with my Model 12 BTVS 223, spent many hours changing mounts, scopes, etc just could not believe it was rifle finally sent it back to Savage, they installed new barrel returned and I was on target 3 rounds it now average's less then .500 constantly if I don't screw up.

steveinwv
03-18-2010, 08:58 AM
I have a Winchester Model 70 in .264WM that shoots 8" high @100yd when bore sighted correctly. Different bases, rings, scopes.......nothing helps. I can live with it on that gun, otherwise it would go back to the manufacturer.

sephlaire
03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Hey guys, I need some advice.

I just picked up this rifle and mounted a Millett TRS-1 (claimed 100 moa elevation range) on medium Burris Xtr rings on a two piece flat Burris picatinny base.

When I bore sight the rifle I can only use the very top 5-10% of my elevation. What's the deal? Is it possible that the barrel is crooked? I leveled the action and put a level on the barrel, it was off a bit but I attribute that to the taper.

What am I doing wrong?

The same thing happened to me with my Savage 10 FLCP-K.
I had my gunsmith put the mounts, rings and scope on but its the very top 5-10% that I have available when the gun is sighted at 25 yards (its at 25 bore sighted because I haven't had time to get to the range and my backyard is not huge.)

I also can't fit medium rings because the lens would touch the rifle if I did. So I may try and 20MOA Base to compensate. Maybe that could be something you could look into if I understand we have a similar problem.

bodywerks
03-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Try an EGW 20moa base, and Burris LOW rings. At the very least get the base - less chance of the rings being canted.

oldguy
03-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Guys honestly I think your wasting time as I did with various mounts, scopes, etc. The barrel alignment was simply wrong, Savage did not provide much info. but the barrel switch cured the problem. I spent months and hours of work trying to correct myself for me it was a mistake. Possible barrel problems,warped receiver, in the end you won't be satisfied unless corrected.

mhw0001
03-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Is there any way to verify that it is a warped receiver or misaligned barrel before going to the trouble of sending it in?

oldguy
03-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Is there any way to verify that it is a warped receiver or misaligned barrel before going to the trouble of sending it in?

Not that I know of I simply tried various mounts, scopes, nothing would align correct so after some months gave up and called Savage, they will issue a return via UPS if your rifle is under warranty, I shipped mine In a plastic shipping case which they returned rifle in, she came back in excellent condition and I'm very pleased with it's accuracy. I know it's a hassle to send it back but in the end wish I had done it sooner and saved a lot of work and time.