PDA

View Full Version : 111 - 270 win, can't hit beans

dynaglydr
03-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Morning Gents. Buddy gave me a 111 in .270 WIN with a 3-9 x 40 no name scope on it. He said he bought it 4 or so years ago and it was a package deal for $300 odd bucks. He retired back to Bulgaria and didn’t wanna bring it with him.
Anyway, I shot it with some Remi 130g Coreloc ammo and WTF? Can’t hit beans at 100yd, I have a side yard with a hundred yd range set up and I can’t see where the bullets are going but it’s not hitting the plate. I took it in to Dick’s and had it bore sited, they said it was a little off but it’s good now. Shot it again and took it back to have an adult bore site it, he said it’s right on. I asked if I should be able to hit a 20”x20” plate at 100 yards? He said I should, went back and shot it again on a bench, still can’t see where the rounds are going. I have trees behind my target. Another buddy says he read that the 111 have lousy triggers with drag and creep. I feel none of that, I apply about 4 pounds of pressure and snap goes the hammer. Before I take it to the rock pit to check it and be able to see where the shots are going and adjust the scope, I wonder if I’m missing something.

J.Baker
03-12-2014, 01:51 PM
First, check this: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?155-Front-Scope-Mount-Screws. Also check to make sure that all mount screws are tight as they don't always get them tightened to spec at the factory and they can loosen up after a few shots. 25-30in-lbs is what they should be tightened to.

Second, if the mount screws are of proper length and are properly tight then I would suspect that the cheap package scope is toast, which is fairly common. Try mounting up a known good scope and see where that gets you.

Third, reduce your sight-in distance to 50 or even 25 yards. Bore-sighting gets you in the ball park, but ball parks are still fairly large and at 100 yards you could end up chasing your tail (as you are now) trying to figure out where it's shooting. Dial it in at a shorter distance and then move back out to 100.

Blitzfike
03-12-2014, 02:08 PM
First, check this: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?155-Front-Scope-Mount-Screws. Also check to make sure that all mount screws are tight as they don't always get them tightened to spec at the factory and they can loosen up after a few shots. 25-30in-lbs is what they should be tightened to.

Second, if the mount screws are of proper length and are properly tight then I would suspect that the cheap package scope is toast, which is fairly common. Try mounting up a known good scope and see where that gets you.

Third, reduce your sight-in distance to 50 or even 25 yards. Bore-sighting gets you in the ball park, but ball parks are still fairly large and at 100 yards you could end up chasing your tail (as you are now) trying to figure out where it's shooting. Dial it in at a shorter distance and then move back out to 100.

This is right on in my experience. any or all of the above can result in the results you are experiencing. Also, check muzzle to see if it somehow got dimpled at the crown. I always start my sight in at 25 yards, get it adjusted at that range and then see what it does out at 100 to 200 yards and tweak the scope for that range. Good luck

fgw_in_fla
03-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Have someone stand behind you when you fire off a shot. Have your "spotter" watch where the splash is & try to adjust accordingly.
No name scope, huh?....

Probably a good place to start after you eliminate the obvious.
Good luck with the new toy.

futurerider103
03-12-2014, 03:17 PM
I always boresight with my BSA borrsighter then go to 20yds to see where I'm at. If I were you I would go dead center bullseye then go up 4.5-5 moa and you should be very close. At least on my Savage 110e 270win that's where I'm at

BillPa
03-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Pull the bolt, set the rifle in the bags ,look through the bore and align it on a spot on a target at 25 yards. Next adjust the scope so its on the same spot. Fire one shot. Hold back on the same spot then adjust the scope from the POA to the bullet POI. Move to 50 yards and repeat then go to 100. With those two shots you should be on paper at 100, not necessarily zeroed, but on paper.

This is basically the same idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiOpQY2ORo4

Bill

Slowpoke Slim
03-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Pull the bolt, set the rifle in the bags ,look through the bore and align it on a spot on a target at 25 yards. Next adjust the scope so its on the same spot.

Bill

Yup, this is how we used to do it in the "old days" before the "newfangled" bore sighters and later laser sighters were invented.

I would also highly suspect that the scope is trash.

dynaglydr
03-13-2014, 12:47 PM
The scope came with the gun from Dicks. Thanks for the input here. I'll try a sighting it again as suggested, if it's still bad, I'll try a different scope.

futurerider103
03-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Let us know

bsekf
03-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Cut your range down to 25 yards. Are you using a good solid rest and setting the gun up the same for every shot?

futurerider103
03-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Any update?

bflee
03-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Put a big piece of cardboard out there and draw a small circle to aim at in the middle. That will tell you where its shooting.

limige
03-18-2014, 12:47 AM
Put a big piece of cardboard out there and draw a small circle to aim at in the middle. That will tell you where its shooting.

Agreed..
beans are a pretty darn small target after all

fgw_in_fla
03-18-2014, 07:10 AM
Agreed..
beans are a pretty darn small target after all

I was trying very hard not to say that. I'm glad someone did...

limige
03-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Im telling ya, not a bad idea though...

Piss on the egg shoot, real shooters shoot beans, lol

fgw_in_fla
03-19-2014, 08:03 AM
I like to shoot pennies at about 200yds out.

I ain't never hit one but I like to shoot at 'em.

BillPa
03-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Heck, just shoot at bigger beans!
http://croquecamille.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/bigbeans.jpg?w=510

fgw_in_fla
03-19-2014, 12:23 PM
That's some serious beenage you got there Bill....

Are they grown near that 'ol nuclear waste site or are you near 3 Mile Island?....

BillPa
03-19-2014, 07:54 PM
are you near 3 Mile Island?....

'bout six miles as the bullet flies. Yeah them theres big beeans alright, but nothing compared to the walleyes we catch. Heck, I caught one last year so big the picture weighed 4 pounds!

Idahokid
03-19-2014, 10:47 PM
I took some advise from this forum and it saved me a lot of time and ammo.I had my rifle bore sited and went to the hundred yard range.I shot a few times and never hit paper.I took the bolt out and was at least over two feet to the left.I started clicking the scope and got on paper.