PDA

View Full Version : Shilen or Mcgowen?

Duff
03-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Looking to start a .338 lapua project. probably going to buy a 111 LR hunter or the 110 FCP and throw on a new barrel custom stock or chassis system etc. Ive always heard great things about Shilen and Krieger/Criterion, Kreiger doesn't offer a 338 lapua as far as i know though. Just started hearing about McGowen and heard a lot of good things but not a whole lot of targets to back it up (not trying to bash McGowen I'm sure they're awesome shooters just haven't seen any groups yet). How would a Shilen SS hold up with a McGowen SS barrel? what are your thoughts or experiences with them?

EOD350
04-07-2014, 04:19 PM
I have a McGowen on my first starter L/R rig. It took a while to make it shoot and it still does ok and at times very ok, but I'm sure it is me and not the barrel/gun when things aren't ok. That said, the McGowen I have is a PITB to clean. It takes forever! I would be more inclined to go with Criterion or Shilen. I am a fan of Rock Creeks and Brux. They are more money, but I really like both barrels. Just my 2 cents.

Dennis
04-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Picture of my 338 Edge @ 300 yards.

Any questions, just let me know.

Dennis
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae56/Dennis4437/338300yds.jpg

cookiemonster
04-14-2014, 12:46 AM
Go with Shilen, 2 barrel retailers won't carry McGowan anymore that's what I know. McGowan is just as nice as savage factory barrels. I'm curious between Criterion and Shilen, I have 3 Shilens all are tack drivers. One is a savage pre-fit and it is very accurate. Jim at Northland Shooter Supply is trying to sell me a Criterion .308 pre-fit savage, I haven't heard anything bad about criterion, I just haven't heard enough good about Criterion other than what Jim says.

I am new to this forum, its very nice, i was instructed to change my post because it was interpreted that i was slamming McGowan I was simply stating what i have read and been told first hand. So i have edited my last comments.

I still want to know about peoples experiences with criterion pre-fit savage barrel that hasn't changed and i can't find anywhere on this web-site about them.

Tokimini
05-14-2014, 10:39 AM
I am new to this forum, its very nice, i was instructed to change my post because it was interpreted that i was slamming McGowan I was simply stating what i have read and been told first hand. So i have edited my last comments.

I made the same rookie mistake. I learned very early on this forum to be careful what you say about McGowen.

sparky123321
05-14-2014, 11:02 AM
My brother doesn't always listen to me, but he did when building a long range .308 bench rest rifle over the past two months. He went with a SS Select Match Shilen barrel from Northland like I suggested/urged. We finally made it to the range on Monday for the first time and he's so happy that he listened to me this time around. He loaded up a few different bullets to try. A couple of the groups were so tight at 100 yards I told him he's really going to have to move out to 200 yards to see which is grouping the best. This was just the first rough test to pick the bullet. He hasn't even gotten to the most accurate charge or OAL. One of his 5 shot groups with JLK VLD's was a 1/8 MOA.

There are a lot of great barrels out there and I've owned most of them, but I can honestly say Shilen is my go to barrel and one of them was the most accurate barrel I've ever owned. Years ago I had very bad luck with a couple "M" barrels, but I hear they have improved their quality recently. Maybe I'll give them another try someday.