PDA

View Full Version : MY custom Savage 6mm AI, built by me!

TheShootist1894
09-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Here's the Spec Sheet!

Savage RBLP Target action (Thanks Jim Briggs NSS)

Shillen Match Select SS 1-8 twist, Ratchet Rifled Blank

Richards Microfit Black Widow Laminate blank

JB Custom Weaponry Knurled bolt handle

Vortex Viper 6.5 - 20 X 50mm Scope with target dot reticle

Ken Farrell 20 MOA base with Burris Zee rings (Thanks Fred Moreo SSS)

I started by inspecting the locking lugs for engagement, which there was, but I lapped them in a bit anyway. Then I set to cambering the barrel, I bought a Manson 244 Rem Improved 40 degree shoulder reamer, and kudos to Manson on making a very nice reamer! After my test firing and brass inspecting I set to contouring the barrel blank, I did a twin taper to finish the barrel after crowning at 31 1/2" and .750" at the muzzle. The crown I put on is very similar to Remington's (yeah I know) Recessed Target crown, it offers great protection from dings and looks good too. After polishing a bit I set to inletting the Laminate blank. . . . three days and 6 lbs of red sawdust later I have something resembling a real long range stock similar to Fred's Heavy BR stock, with my own feel thrown in. Now the stock is sanded, to be sprayed this weekend, and I cannot wait to get after some groundhogs!! Savages really are a lot of fun to build and I thought I would share this build with y'all.
Now I think I will get out my components and warm up the reloading press. . .. Pictures will be soon to follow . .. . now where did I put those Berger VLD's??? . .. . . .

Any questions about this build just ask!

ThorBird
09-04-2009, 07:33 PM
After I read the components I was saying I need to see some pics. Man that sounds like a humdinger. Let us know how it shoots too.

pdog06
09-04-2009, 09:42 PM
After I read the components I was saying I need to see some pics.

Me too.

I love the Black Widow color on their stocks. I have a Richards Tactial in the same color. I know all about the 3 days of sanding and the 6lbs of red sawdust.

GaCop
09-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Going down the AI road myself with a future build in 280 Ackley Improved. Keep us informed on accuracy developments.

TheShootist1894
09-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Trust me. . . .I CAN'T WAIT to know myself! I took the stock and sprayed a coat of Duracoat clear on today, and will apply a few more before rubbing the finish out. And my scope is in the mail from Midway as of last Wednesday, and the rings and bases should be here soon too, talked to Lisa last Monday and she said they would ship then. . . . I have a box of Corelock bullets to load up for break in and fireforming. . . . and 115 bergers, 105 bergers, and some 107 Matchkings to play with when I get some Ackleyfied brass. . . . Nothing like breaking in that$125 dollar set of Redding dies!!

pdog06
09-05-2009, 03:16 PM
FYI, dont forget that Vortex has a $50 rebate on the Vipers till the end of the year. You can get the rebate form off the Vortex website and you just have to fill it out and send it in along with a copy of your sales reciept.

I just got my rebate back from them yesterday ;D Took about 7 weeks to get it back.

CARBON-ARCH
09-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Sounds great, but we do need pic`s!

TheShootist1894
09-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Oh I sent in both of my rebates yesterday, I bought two Vipers, the other is a 4-12 X 40. The second one is for my 264 Win Mag classic/beanfield rifle, but that one is on a tang saftey Ruger action so. . . . . . . I have another of the big Vipers 6.5 - 20 X 50 on my 204 and I love it, but my 204 is a CZ .. . :o but it does shoot in the mid to low .2's at 100 with Berger 35 grainers. . . .

The Vortex Vipers are the best $500, and less, I have ever spent on glass, period. . .
Why one year ago I had 6 Leupolds mounted, now I have 2! I have owned Redfields, Weavers, Sightrons, Burris, B&L Elite, and Bushnell, and of course there were a couple of Millets, Tascos and even a BSA or two :-[
Vipers are a great value. I also bought a 4-12 Crossfire from Vortex (~$100) for my Savage 93 BTVS 22 Mag and couldn't be happier for the money.

Pics will be coming. . .

Southernfryedyankee
09-09-2009, 09:48 PM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/nylouie516/44789_thisthreadcompletelyuseless20.jpg