PDA

View Full Version : just purchased a drop in barrel for my 111 in .300wm

jlaz90
03-11-2014, 02:20 PM
so i just got a 26" varmint drop in from northland shooter supply , who by the way were extremely nice people to deal with, and I was wondering should i try to install the barrel my self or spend the money at my local gunsmith who, really knows pistols but I'm not sure about his knowledge with bolt rifles. I am pretty handy since I do metal work for a living but I was wondering if I should do it my self or not. In nj there arent many gunsmiths who work on bolt action rifles since you cant hunt with them here and there is no property.

Remingtonman
03-11-2014, 04:18 PM
so i just got a 26" varmint drop in from northland shooter supply , who by the way were extremely nice people to deal with, and I was wondering should i try to install the barrel my self or spend the money at my local gunsmith who, really knows pistols but I'm not sure about his knowledge with bolt rifles. I am pretty handy since I do metal work for a living but I was wondering if I should do it my self or not. In nj there arent many gunsmiths who work on bolt action rifles since you cant hunt with them here and there is no property.

Id do it myself if I where you. I just finished rebarreling a savage 111 in 300 win mag with a 24" Heavy Sporter contour Criterion Barrel and it was very easy. All you need is an action wrench, barrel vise to hold the barreled action and a go gauge to set your headspacing.

airdale
03-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Do it yourself. Action wrench, barrel nut wrench, cheap harbor freight torque wrench and go, no go gauges and you can do it on your living room floor (that's where I did my first two builds). A word of word of warning, it's like tater chips, you can't stop at just one.

PS make sure you get one of Jim's recoil lugs before doing the swap, they make a big difference.