PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Need help to identify a 99

Hunterj50
03-16-2010, 01:51 PM
A friend has a Savage 99 and we are trying to figure out the model. I have Murrays "The Ninety-Nine" 3rd edition and the closest I can figure is it might be a later 99-EG. The picture on page 3-58 is most like his with a couple of exceptions. His has a White Line recoil pad, a Marbles rear sight and the bolt is not jeweled. It also has sling studs but my friend thinks he remembers his dad added those. It has the schnoble tip forearm with checkering on the forearm and pistol grip of the stock. It says Savage Model 99 on the left side of the frame and is drilled and tapped for scope bases. Serial # 585774 and barrel marking is SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. USA. Under the caliber marking on the left side of the barrel which is 300 Savage is the number 3.

I would call this a later EG except for the recoil pad as mentioned. The first mention of a White Line pad I can find in Murrays book is for the 99-C and this has a brass rotary mag with counter. I'm thinking the rear sight is also not stock.

Interestingly it also has a Boone Scope mounted at the rear of the receiver. I have never seen one of these before and am trying to get some info on it too.

Thanks for any help.

Mad Dog
03-16-2010, 07:38 PM
It's an EG alright but the pad, rear sight and sling studs were all added.

I collect Boone scopes, they're not exactly accurate but I get them for nostalgia purposes. Lots of info on them what did you wanna know?