PDA

View Full Version : Bolt handle removal

jsthntn247
03-10-2014, 12:31 PM
I purchased an aftermarket bolt handle to replace the factory one. The big nut on the back of the bolt handle seems impossible to break free. Is this normal, any suggestions on how to get it off?

drybean
03-10-2014, 12:44 PM
install you allen wrench in the nut, set it on the floor (carpet) then step on it

drybean

floydboy
03-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Sometimes when it breaks loose the pop will make you think you broke something in half. They can be very tight. Don't even try to tighten it back that tight.

Floyd

jsthntn247
03-10-2014, 03:20 PM
install you allen wrench in the nut, set it on the floor (carpet) then step on it

drybean

Think I might have to put mine in a vise and use a impact wrench. It's seriously on there.

FW Conch
03-10-2014, 03:53 PM
If you have a vise, install the bolt handle in padded jaws, insert an Allen head socket with a breaker bar, a 2 ft. pipe on the breaker bar, and lean into it slowly until it breaks loose. Don't use the impact wrench.

Good Luck.......Jim ;-))

bootsmcguire
03-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Give THIS (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?266-How-To-Remove-A-Stuck-BAS-and-Disassemble-Bolt) a read. I think it will be of help. Works every time.

I see Drybean already touched on it, the link has some pics showing how to:

EdKin
03-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Give THIS (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?266-How-To-Remove-A-Stuck-BAS-and-Disassemble-Bolt) a read. I think it will be of help. Works every time.

I see Drybean already touched on it, the link has some pics showing how to:

+1 worked great for me

03-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Think I might have to put mine in a vise and use a impact wrench. It's seriously on there.

I put the Allen wrench into the bolt, then held the bolt in my left hand with my index finger wrapped around the bolt handle, then rapped on the Allen wrench with a hammer. Broke it right free. Same idea, but without the vise or impact wrench. Kroil might also help.

Badger
04-11-2014, 06:36 PM
+1 worked great for me

Worked like a charm, thank you guys. I used a Husky all in one allen wrench group and it still worked on the floor, loud pop and everything!