PDA

View Full Version : Savage axis reciever

Forever draggin
03-09-2014, 05:38 PM
R they stainless? I used to polish the black 10/22s after I would strip em. Wondering if I can do the same

sharpshooter
03-10-2014, 02:38 AM
Does it look like stainless? If it's black, it's not.

Forever draggin
03-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Ur not following me. Try to comprehend. On the ruger 10/22 recievers they all r stainless. Even the ones coated black.

I was wondering if anyone ever went past the black to see if the axis recievers were stainless, even if coated black

Hotolds442
03-10-2014, 06:45 PM
He's following you just fine. They're not made of stainless.

cranebird
03-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Ur not following me. Try to comprehend. On the ruger 10/22 recievers they all r stainless. Even the ones coated black.

I was wondering if anyone ever went past the black to see if the axis recievers were stainless, even if coated black

If it were stainless steel, a magnet would not stick to it. A magnet sticks to my black receiver. I hope this helps.

Hotolds442
03-10-2014, 06:51 PM
If it were stainless steel, a magnet would not stick to it. A magnet sticks to my black receiver. I hope this helps.
Not really true, several grades of stainless steel will allow a magnet to attach. Savage sells their stainless actions as stainless, they don't paint them black.
as far as the 10/22 goes, unless Ruger has made some changes, the black paint you're removing is there to protect the ALUMINUM from corrosion, they are not stainless, either.

sha-ul
03-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Correct, and being aluminum, they can take a real good shine. ;)

Not really true, several grades of stainless steel will allow a magnet to attach. Savage sells their stainless actions as stainless, they don't paint them black.
as far as the 10/22 goes, unless Ruger has made some changes, the black paint you're removing is there to protect the ALUMINUM from corrosion, they are not stainless, either.

Forever draggin
03-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Bahaha yep ur right they r aluminum. Dang I knew that too!

cranebird
03-11-2014, 06:01 AM

I never heard of that and I've worked in sheet metal fabrication for 31 years, I've learned something new today. Thank you.

Hotolds442
03-11-2014, 06:16 AM
Background
Magnetic permeability is the ability of a material to carry magnetism, indicated by the degree to which it is attracted to a magnet. All stainless steels, with the exception of the austenitic group, are strongly attracted to a magnet.

Austenitic Grades
All austenitic grades have very low magnetic permeabilities and hence show almost no response to a magnet when in the annealed condition; the situation is, however, far less clear when these steels have been cold worked by wire drawing, rolling or even centreless grinding, shot blasting or heavy polishing. After substantial cold working Grade 304 may exhibit quite strong response to a magnet, whereas Grades 310 and 316 will in most instances still be almost totally non-responsive.

The change in magnetic response is due to atomic lattice straining and formation of martensite. In general, the higher the nickel to chromium ratio the more stable is the austenitic structure and the less magnetic response that will be induced by cold work. Magnetic response can therefore be used as a method for sorting grades of stainless steel, but considerable caution needs to be exercised.

Stress Relieving
Any austenitic (300 series) stainless steel which has developed magnetic response due to cold work can be returned to a non-magnetic condition by stress relieving. In general this can be readily achieved by briefly heating to approximately 700 - 800°C (this can be conveniently carried out by careful use of an oxy-acetylene torch). Note, however, unless the steel is a stabilised grade it could become sensitised to carbide precipitation. Full solution treatment at 1000 - 1150°C will remove all magnetic response without danger of reduced corrosion resistance due to carbides.

If magnetic permeability is a factor of design or is incorporated into a specification, this should be clearly indicated when purchasing the stainless steel from a supplier.

Cold Working
Many cold drawn and/or polished bars have a noticeable amount of magnetism as a result of the previous cold work. This is particularly the case with grades 304 and 303, and much less so for the higher nickel grades such as 310 and 316. Even within the chemical limitations of a single standard analysis range there can be a pronounced variation in the rate of inducement of magnetic response from cold work.

Magnetically Soft Stainless Steels
In some applications there is a requirement for a steel to be "magnetically soft". This is often required for solenoid shafts, where it is necessary for the plunger to respond efficiently to the magnetic field from the surrounding coil when the current is switched on, but when the current is switched off the magnetic field induced in the steel must quickly collapse, allowing the plunger to return to its original position. Steels which behave in this way are said to be magnetically soft. For corrosion resisting applications there are ferritic stainless steels which are magnetically soft, usually variants of a grade "18/2" (18% chromium and 2% molybdenum) but with very tightly controlled additions of silicon and often with sulphur added to make them free machining. Special mill processing guarantees the magnetic properties of the steels.

cranebird
03-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Background
Magnetic permeability is the ability of a material to carry magnetism, indicated by the degree to which it is attracted to a magnet. All stainless steels, with the exception of the austenitic group, are strongly attracted to a magnet.

Austenitic Grades
All austenitic grades have very low magnetic permeabilities and hence show almost no response to a magnet when in the annealed condition; the situation is, however, far less clear when these steels have been cold worked by wire drawing, rolling or even centreless grinding, shot blasting or heavy polishing. After substantial cold working Grade 304 may exhibit quite strong response to a magnet, whereas Grades 310 and 316 will in most instances still be almost totally non-responsive.

The change in magnetic response is due to atomic lattice straining and formation of martensite. In general, the higher the nickel to chromium ratio the more stable is the austenitic structure and the less magnetic response that will be induced by cold work. Magnetic response can therefore be used as a method for sorting grades of stainless steel, but considerable caution needs to be exercised.

Stress Relieving
Any austenitic (300 series) stainless steel which has developed magnetic response due to cold work can be returned to a non-magnetic condition by stress relieving. In general this can be readily achieved by briefly heating to approximately 700 - 800°C (this can be conveniently carried out by careful use of an oxy-acetylene torch). Note, however, unless the steel is a stabilised grade it could become sensitised to carbide precipitation. Full solution treatment at 1000 - 1150°C will remove all magnetic response without danger of reduced corrosion resistance due to carbides.

If magnetic permeability is a factor of design or is incorporated into a specification, this should be clearly indicated when purchasing the stainless steel from a supplier.

Cold Working
Many cold drawn and/or polished bars have a noticeable amount of magnetism as a result of the previous cold work. This is particularly the case with grades 304 and 303, and much less so for the higher nickel grades such as 310 and 316. Even within the chemical limitations of a single standard analysis range there can be a pronounced variation in the rate of inducement of magnetic response from cold work.

Magnetically Soft Stainless Steels
In some applications there is a requirement for a steel to be "magnetically soft". This is often required for solenoid shafts, where it is necessary for the plunger to respond efficiently to the magnetic field from the surrounding coil when the current is switched on, but when the current is switched off the magnetic field induced in the steel must quickly collapse, allowing the plunger to return to its original position. Steels which behave in this way are said to be magnetically soft. For corrosion resisting applications there are ferritic stainless steels which are magnetically soft, usually variants of a grade "18/2" (18% chromium and 2% molybdenum) but with very tightly controlled additions of silicon and often with sulphur added to make them free machining. Special mill processing guarantees the magnetic properties of the steels.

I wandered out in the stock material area today and found out that we use 314 and 316 grade stainless steel material. My post wasn't in sarcasm,I actually learned something that I wasn't aware of.Most of the stainless steel products where I work are food industry oriented.Sorry for making you stray off topic.Thanks for the info.

Hotolds442
03-12-2014, 04:22 PM
It's all good, I did think you were being sarcastic.:focus:

sharpshooter
03-12-2014, 06:53 PM
300 series stainless is often referred to as "food " grade, because of it's resistance to corrosion. The only downfall to 300 series is it cannot be heat treated to make it harder.