PDA

View Full Version : Barrel change/Caliber change?

doclouie
03-09-2014, 03:11 PM
So I have done quite a bit of searching and have not found this answer. I shoot a Savage 110 series chambered in 300 Win Mag. I would love a 22-250, but with the financial concerns I cannot afford one. I have a friend that has a 110 series Savage 22-250 barrel I can have for free, but he lives 2000 miles away. Can I just swap out the 300 Win Mag barrel with the 22-250 barrel and have it work? I know I would need a wrench and it would need to be sighted in etc, but is this possible. Thank you for your help. If it is possible would only the barrel need swapped out or are there other parts too that would need swapped out?

scope eye
03-09-2014, 03:22 PM
You will also need to swap the bolt head, and if you want a repeater you will also have to change the box magazine, and being your first barrel swap, some headspace gauges are a must, all these thing are not difficult but need to be addressed.

Dean

doclouie
03-09-2014, 03:39 PM
So along with the wrench I should get a bolt head and some head space gauges. I am very handy as I am an engineer and even have a lathe and mill in the garage. Thanks for the heads up. Anything else I may be missing? I am just new to the Savage rifle as I have done trigger jobs and different things on my other guns.

shoalwater
03-09-2014, 04:27 PM
An action wrench sure makes it easy. Give Jim at northland shooter supply a call, he will have everything you need.