PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on neck tension, tell me what you think on what I'm doing?

Pages : 1 [2]

yobuck
03-11-2014, 10:49 AM
What we "think" dosent matter much especially when it argues against facts.
A fired case from any chamber should be all the evidence required as to the need
for neck turning in that chamber. If you cant push a bullet into a fired case then yes it needs
some taken off. Snug would be nice. Otherwise leave it alone and be happy.
Yes brass varies so its best to stick with one type or at least seperate it and deal with it accordingly.

Gene75
03-11-2014, 05:27 PM
yobuck, I tried pushing a bullet back into the case mouth of a fired case, I shoot the 175 SMK's and with the Lapua brass it has a very slight interference at the back end of the bearing surface where the boat tail is, other then that the rest of the bearing surface doesn't seem to contact the ID of the case mouth, what is you opinion of the fit?

yobuck
03-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Shape and weight dont matter, .308 is .308.
Dont feel bad because your not the first to screw up good brass by turning necks in chambers not requiring it.
How do you think i became an expert? lol.
If youve got lots of lapua brass involved it might pay to buy a collet die to be able to use it.
Otherwise chalk it up to education which always cost somebody. Id personaly trash the brass and move on.
Were fortunate today in having factory rifles that shoot as well as they do. Handloaders especially can wring performance
from factory rifles not possible just a couple decades ago. But remember it is what it is and be happy with it.
Theres an old cliche about trying to make chicken soup.
Aint no way your gonna beat the serious guys using custom guns with factory rifles. For that matter, custom aint always custom.

Gene75
03-11-2014, 08:24 PM
ok please explain? what do you think I have done wrong? what should be going on in what I've done or should not be going on?

Gene75
03-11-2014, 09:46 PM
this is exactly what I'm doing:cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JASKPjKEi4c&feature=share&list=PL35A85A45569047C3

DanSavage
03-13-2014, 04:37 PM
If your necks are now .015 I wouldn't toss the brass. I don't see anything wrong with skimming off the fat on the neck. I think a more uniformed neck would work even better with the Lee collet neck sizer die.