PDA

View Full Version : Extractor Thickness Differ

Pages : 1 [2]

sharpshooter
03-10-2014, 02:33 AM
I think you have overlooked the most important part. That older bolt head probably has burrs in the extractor "T" slot. If the extractor does not slide easily with no spring, it will be even worse under tension. Check it with a case out of the action. The extractor should snap over a case rim by pushing it straight in without great effort. In some cases, when using the .140" ball, the spring is compressed too much and it puts excessive pressure on the ball, causing the extractor to bind. In this case, I grind about .025" off the spring.

Mach2
03-10-2014, 03:52 AM
I think you have overlooked the most important part. That older bolt head probably has burrs in the extractor "T" slot. If the extractor does not slide easily with no spring, it will be even worse under tension. Check it with a case out of the action. The extractor should snap over a case rim by pushing it straight in without great effort. In some cases, when using the .140" ball, the spring is compressed too much and it puts excessive pressure on the ball, causing the extractor to bind. In this case, I grind about .025" off the spring.

Why not just go back to the original ball?

Nemesis
03-11-2014, 05:19 PM

Extractor slides fine, no problems there. I'll take the bolt out and try the tip you provided when I get a chance...Thanks for the information.

Why not just go back to the original ball?

I ordered a factory Extractor and Ball. However, I went to check the status today, and it never went through. I forgot my bank has a block on charges to certain states, and the company I ordered from is in one of these blocked states. Have to give it another whril tomorrow. Be my luck, the stuff will be out of stock now or on back order...LOL

Bigguy
03-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Just want to thank all that have replied to this thread. My new 12FLV would not properly extract a shell unless the bolt was pulled back very quickly, then it would hold on long enough for the ejector to just barely push the shell out of the gun. I took the extractor out and there was a very thin metal filing under the extractor. The filing was relatively flat but about 1/8" long. In addition there was a burr on the extractor and hardened grease or some other gunk under the extractor lip. Cleaned the lip, polished the extractor on some 1000 grit, reinstalled and it now works perfectly. Don't think I could have done it without those of you that have helped here.

Nemesis
03-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Thanks to user, drybean, who hooked me up with .140 extractor balls, the old Savage is spitting out casing faster than politicians spit out lies now. Thanks again, drybean, for the help, and also everyone else who provided information about what to look for when trouble shooting something like this that I may run into in the future.