PDA

View Full Version : B&C Stock Problem

savage300rum
03-16-2010, 11:05 AM
I have been lurking on this site for almost a year and have learned a great deal. I purchased a Savage 112 in 7mm Rem Mag a few months ago and turned it into a project. The first thing I did was separate the action/barrel and replaced the factory barrel with one from McGowan Precision. Then, I proceeded to get rid of the plastic tupper ware stock and replaced it with a Bell & Carlson (not sure of the model, but it has the full length bedding block). I opened up the barrel channel to accept the new barrel. When I went to reassemble the rifle, I realized the magazine retaining clip was sitting on the aluminum bedding block and did not allow the action to sit firmly in the stock. It cants the action in such a way that the tang hovers above the stock and the barrel tips downward. I thought the stocks were to be a drop in fit?!?!?! From scouring this site, I realized Savage has transitioned to a new centerfeed magazine and B&C has not updated their manufacturing process to reflect these changes.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to resolve this? Is it as simple as dremeling out the bedding block to accept the magazine retaining clip or is it more complicated and require more precision. I could always take it to a gunsmith and have him do the work; but that would negate it being "my first build"

Thanks

dcloco
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Yep...but, you will need a way to retain the clip so that it holds the mag in the correct place.

jdg
03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
I had to file the edges of the clip, in order for it to go in flush. Had the same issue with my B&C Stock.