PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible? Change DBM to Blind

Monroe
03-08-2014, 05:45 PM
I've been lurking for some time now and am enjoying the forums a lot.
I've read through the FAQs and searched the forums as well, but have not found anything that answers my question.
I have a model 11 Trophy Hunter XP in 7mm-08. Leupold steel rings and 1pc base, and a VX2.
I'm not happy with the plastic stock and am going to change it ASAP.
Ideally, I would like a Boyd's laminated stock, but I want to eliminate the DBM.
My understanding is that the rifles with a blind magazine still use the same mag box, spring and follower, and they are just mounted inside the stock with a bracket.
I'm guessing I need to call Boyd's to place an order as their interactive tool only gives me options for a DBM.
Also, which model trigger guard do I order from Savage? My guard has the bolt release in it, and I'd like actual metal parts if they make them. Thanks.

1ShotKing
03-08-2014, 06:38 PM
I've been lurking for some time now and am enjoying the forums a lot.
I've read through the FAQs and searched the forums as well, but have not found anything that answers my question.
I have a model 11 Trophy Hunter XP in 7mm-08. Leupold steel rings and 1pc base, and a VX2.
I'm not happy with the plastic stock and am going to change it ASAP.
Ideally, I would like a Boyd's laminated stock, but I want to eliminate the DBM.
My understanding is that the rifles with a blind magazine still use the same mag box, spring and follower, and they are just mounted inside the stock with a bracket.
I'm guessing I need to call Boyd's to place an order as their interactive tool only gives me options for a DBM.
Also, which model trigger guard do I order from Savage? My guard has the bolt release in it, and I'd like actual metal parts if they make them. Thanks.
Your biggest Issue will be your trigger guard/bolt release. Savage doesn't make any firearms that has that bolt release in the trigger guard and a blind magazine. I'm sure it can be made to work but it may take a bit of tinkering. You can get a model one though, some of the higher models in their line have the metal trigger guard with that bolt release. The FCNS or FCSS both have them, for example.

Hotolds442
03-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Choose a stock for the model 10, it will be Inletted properly for the correct trigger guard. Then offer your trigger guard up for trade in the classifieds.
also, is your rifle a top or bottom bolt release?

1ShotKing
03-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Choose a stock for the model 10, it will be Inletted properly for the correct trigger guard. Then offer your trigger guard up for trade in the classifieds.
also, is your rifle a top or bottom bolt release?
He has a bottom bolt release, as indicated in the original post.

Hotolds442
03-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Missed that.....

chromatica
03-21-2014, 02:42 AM
I did the modification you described. About six months ago, Boyds came out with a (lamintaed) Tacticool stock for the Savage 11. This stock only supports a blind magazine. You are right - you can build a blind magazine from your old DBM system with the addition of a magazine retainer that you can obtain from Savage. Check out the instructions on Stocky's Stocks website. I had to do some inletting to get the Model 11 trigger guard to fit the Boyds stock. I had to remove material so that the tab for the bolt release could travel freely. I also had to deepen the existing inlet so that the tab would mate with the bolt release lever on the trigger housing. I used a forstner bit chucked into a drill press. It wasn't real pretty, but I plan to go back and clean it up. It seems it would be straightforward for Boyd's to set up their CNC machines to make these cuts. Hopefully, they will offer this soon.

Savage makes a metal version of the Model 11 trigger guard. I haven't invested in that part yet. You can call Savage customer service and have them send this to you. I believe the inlet dimensions are a bit different from the plastic version.

Missed that.....