PDA

View Full Version : bolt help for my model 200 Stevens

nicholasbardon
03-08-2014, 02:29 AM
Hello all,

I picked up a free (it may be a curse) stevens 200 barrelled action in .223. I called savage and determined that it is a stagger feed short action. Now here is the catch, it came without a bolt. I have literally looked everywhere and I can't seem to find anywhere that has a complete bold in stock. I have a really nice .300 aac blackout barrel and a mcgowen 7mm-08 barrel just waiting to be affixed to this rifle and I don't want to wait for a back order bolt.

What I have:

-short action bolt body
-savage axis complete bolt with .308 boltface - I believe all axis rifles are built on long actions so I am assuming this won't work.
-I also have access to a lathe and a skilled machinist for free!

1. I would prefer to just buy a complete bolt, I like tinkering but shooting is what I live for!
2. Could I make a short action bolt with the bits that I have?
3. Maybe one of you good fellows has a short action bolt for sale?

I am new to the forum but I have fully indulged in the Savage cool aid! Would really appreciate everyones help.

Cheers

Nick

Hotolds442
03-08-2014, 04:34 AM
The Axis bolt head won't work on the short bolt body, unless your machinist shortens the shank on it. If you look here:http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?131-Savage-Bolt-Head-Configurations you'll see the difference in shank length, above the retaining pin hole (shorten the shank by .125, if my memory is correct) the two on the left are for short actions, the next two are long action, and the last is short action. That leaves you needing only the firing pin assembly, which if you use the axis bolt head will require the "small" diameter firing pin, and a few other pieces easily obtained from Savage. The Axis firing pin assembly won't work, it's of an entirely different design, nor will the bolt handle. It would probably be easier to just spend the $15 to be a paid member here so you could get access to the classifieds and post a WTB ad, I'm sure someone has what you need.

jonbearman
03-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Just order a ptg bolt and scrounge up the other parts from the forum. Ptg also makes very nice bolt heads for a reasonable price as well.

nicholasbardon
03-08-2014, 12:13 PM
$15 dollars it is! I kinda figured that would be the case.

Cheers

Guys

bootsmcguire
03-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Not to contradict, but IIRC the Axis is based on its own long action length, but the Axis bolt body and firing pin are setup to use the Short Action bolt head for some reason. If I am remembering all that correctly, then you could use your Axis bolt head on the Stevens SA bolt body. You will still need a 10/110 style BAS and 10 Short action firing pin assembly, but the bolt head you have covered.

Hotolds442 would be totally correct when dealing with a LA vs. a SA as I have done the conversion of using a LA bolt head on a SA bolt, but for some reason the Axis is a special LA length bolt body that uses the SA bolt head.

Hotolds442
03-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Just looked up an Axis in the parts finder, Boots is correct, your Axis bolt head will work without modification. It will require the use of the "small" diameter firing pin.