PDA

View Full Version : I was Mr.Popular on my way to work today!

rsh4364
03-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Left for work at 5:30am,2 miles from home turn on brights,3 miles from home another car coming @ me,go to dim my headlights and switch broke! I had to drive 40 miles with brights on...You can imagine all the single finger waves I received..2014 has been a bad year for me.

David_4
03-07-2014, 07:05 PM
At least you had an excuse, what about all the idiots that don't dim their lights and the switch works.

Hotolds442
03-07-2014, 07:28 PM
You *should* be able to pull the high beam relay and get your regular headlights depending on make and model.

rsh4364
03-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Its a 93 Olds Cutlass Supreme,ordered a new switch tonight..Nothing ever goes well when I work on this car! Im thinking of buying a 1964 Rambler American with 23K on it to be my new work car,just for the simple fact newer cars such a pain to work on!

yobuck
03-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Just be careful when you push the switch your foot dosent go thru the floor.lol
Get an old jeep, their easy to work on. Better yet get 3 or 4 that way you have a parts supply.

David13
03-08-2014, 08:38 PM
It happens.
I used to have a GM car, and that car used up headlight switches by the dozen. It was always out. And I was always replacing it.
In a similar vein, in Mexico, there are areas, where, for some reason, the signs say "no daylight headlight use". I think they say it both in English and Spanish.
Sometimes it makes for popularity when I am on a motorcycle which, under California law, and maybe federal law, has a headlight that cannot be turned off.
dc

n4ue
03-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Back years ago, when mfgs were going to headlights on all the time, there was concern that it would cause a slight reduction in fuel mileage. Down here in Florida, the biggest concern I have on my motorcycle, is people 'texting'.
Yep, nothing gets your attention faster than going around a sweeping turn and having a 4 wheeler coming at you, in YOUR lane, with a knucklehead texting away!

ron

COplains
03-10-2014, 06:37 PM
I shouldn't say this but it was kinda funny at the time....had the same thing happen on a cross country trip, if I was mr. popular with someone I'd switch to parking lights only and start veering back and forth. Seems they forgot about my brights in a hurry. kb

Note: I was much younger and still fairly wild at the time.

rsh4364
03-11-2014, 08:46 PM
You *should* be able to pull the high beam relay and get your regular headlights depending on make and model.

While messing with column cover,I tilted wheel upwards and accidently hit dimmer switch and it functioned,but not when wheel is in lower position! Will not be using brights again anytime soon..Thanks Guys.

Rick_W
03-11-2014, 10:24 PM
My 18 yo daughter took my truck ('03 Ram 2500) to the store the other night, along with her little sister.

Little sister called five minutes after leaving the house - "How do you turn off the bright lights?"

Told her - pull the left stalk towards you.

They didn't know what a "stalk" was. She was actually trying to pull the on/off switch out of the dash.

Ended up driving all the way to town and back with brights on.

I don't know what I'm going to do...