PDA

View Full Version : Headspace Guage - Loaners

Pages : [1] 2

Rifleshooter308
03-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Hey Savage nuts. If many of you are like me you have a serious addiction to Savage switch barrels. I'm sure many of use have aquired a few headspace guages but it always seems you need one you don't have. Since this is an upstanding group of folks who share the same passion I figured I would be happy to help out when needed. Maybe others would too.

I have headspace guages in .308/.260/.243, .223 and 22-250. I would be happy to loan one out to a registered forum member to headspace their rifle. I can mail it in a regular envelope for less than a dollar. You use it and return it to me. No charge.

If others are willing to do the same post what you have. Borrowers can PM me with their addresses and I'll mail it out the next day. Please try to turn it around in a week or less.

Dan

Remingtonman
03-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Do you have any 204 headspace gauges?

Redandwhite_72
03-08-2014, 02:19 PM
I'd be interested in borrowing a 30-06 guage if someone would be willing to loan one.

GaryBF
03-08-2014, 04:31 PM
That is an excellent idea and offer. I am a member of another firearm forum where sight adjustment tools are loaned out. It seems silly to me to invest in a lot of specialized tools for a single use. I hope this takes off.

03mossy
03-08-2014, 09:21 PM
I have often thought about this as well. Id trust the paid members here to return my borrowed tools unlike my brother in law!

Hotolds442
03-08-2014, 09:28 PM
I would be open to this, but like Mossy, I'd prefer to restrict it to paid members.
A new forum in the classifieds could be created to restrict it to paid members, create a post with what you have, and then go from there keeping the thread always open so users could see what's available.

Redandwhite_72
03-08-2014, 09:43 PM
I understand where you guys are coming from about the paid members. However, just because you are a paid member doesn't mean you will take care of or return tools any more than a non paid member. As you can see I'm a non paid member. I'm not going to pay on here just to borrow a tool once in a great while. For $5 or is it $7, there's a website that rents go and no go gauges. So if that was made a stipulation I guess I'm out, even though they'd be returned in the same condition I borrowed them in and if not I'd replace them for that individual.

Hotolds442
03-08-2014, 09:53 PM
There are a lot better reasons to cough up the $15 for a paid membership. For one, you are supporting the site. Plus you get access to the classifieds. Renting two gauges at the prices you mentioned would cover the membership by the time you pay the postage fees on top of the rental.

Redandwhite_72
03-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Ha! Shows you how much I know. First I didn't know that it was only $15. Second I just assumed the classifieds were lame and there wasn't anything on there. Didn't know you had to pay to view them. All the other forums I'm on are not that way.

03mossy
03-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Redandwhite- if you are into savages at all it will be the best $15 you will ever spend. The hard part is not saying "I'll take it" on all the good deals Lol.

J.Baker
03-08-2014, 10:36 PM
If you all want to do this, I would suggest posting it in the Free Stuff board down in the classifieds section. It's open to both basic and paid members. I would however recommend that anyone "loaning" tools to require a 100% refundable PayPal deposit that will be returned once the tool(s) are returned and verified not to have been damaged or ruined. A number of posts here over the years have proven that even with the right tools people are more than capable of destroying things due to inexperience or plain old impatience - including the tools themselves.

Hotolds442
03-08-2014, 10:42 PM
If you all want to do this, I would suggest posting it in the Free Stuff board down in the classifieds section.
No thanks.

J.Baker
03-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Do you have any 204 headspace gauges?

Go fish :p

COplains
03-08-2014, 10:51 PM
J...your'e probably right about the deposit but there are a number of folks here that don't have/don't want a PayPal account. For this to work, it would, I think, need to be easily accomplished. It's going to take some trust on the loaners end but isn't that really what it is about? Some trust, responsibilty are the only way to keep this from going the wrong direction. Personaly, I think it should be kept to paid members so that word doesn't get out that "free" guages can be had. Just sayin, kb

J.Baker
03-08-2014, 11:49 PM
J...your'e probably right about the deposit but there are a number of folks here that don't have/don't want a PayPal account.

That's fine, that's what checks and money orders are for then.

Sorry, but there's not a snowballs chance in Hades that I would send my tools off to someone, much less encourage or suggest anyone else do the same. Not saying anyone on here is a thief, but stuff happens and without a doubt something would happen and someone would be out their tools. So yeah, a full value security deposit is the only way I'd engage in an activity such as this as I paid good money out of my own pocket for my tools - I'm not going to put myself in a position where I'll have to buy them again just so some unscrupulous person can get said tools for free because of "good faith" gone bad.

limige
03-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Lol

I like the idea. Also agree paid members only. I will post up if we start a sub forum as mentioned.

foxx
03-09-2014, 12:28 AM
I am one of those without a paypal account... I would really appreciate being able to borrow gauges, and would have no problem sending a check or something as a deposit. Seems fair to me. Heck, I'd be just as happy to include a couple bucks just as a gesture of "thanks" for the loaner. Tried doing so with a good member here a while ago and he refused, but my point is the same. :)

Hotolds442
03-09-2014, 12:41 AM
Lol

I like the idea. Also agree paid members only. I will post up if we start a sub forum as mentioned.

I think Jim blew off the sub forum idea.

Slowpoke Slim
03-09-2014, 10:29 AM
I would be open to this idea myself. J makes some good points to be sure, but if we keep it to paid members, and ONLY the gauges themselves, I think we'd be ok.

As to "why" paid members only?

Not really as much to do with trust, as more to make sure those "members" are really on this board to be on this board. Not like was mentioned earlier, the word gets out on other forums that we're loaning gauges to all comers here on the Savage forum.

That, and I would consider this a type of "reward" for being a paid member and supporting the website.

Last thought is, what good would the gauges do you without access to the forum classifieds, where you can buy many barrels to use those gauges on?

foxx
03-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Slim nailed it.