PDA

View Full Version : Replacing barrel on a 12 FV

Tmoss 22-250
03-07-2014, 08:56 AM
How hard is it to replace the barrel on a 12 sense the barrel life on a 22-250 isn't very long? I have changed a 700 before just need some pointers on what to watch for.

Rifleshooter308
03-07-2014, 09:56 AM
About as simple as it gets. All you need is a barrel vise and Savage barrel wrench. You can invest in headspace guage - they run about $35 if you can find the right one in stock. You can also used a virgin factory case which I have found does the job well.

It can be a pain getting the stock barrels off as Savage torques them to about 1000lbs. Best to soak the nut/threads in PB blaster overnight. If it has a the smooth barrel nut your better off just cutting it off.

I had a McGowen 1:8 twist 26" Bull Stainless that was a 1/2 MOA rifle with handloads. I had it fluted to reduce weight but I took this barrel out to 1000 yards with the 80g Amax with no issues. Best $300 barrel out there IMHO. I have had Criterions, Shilen's, Rock's, Kriegers, Shaw's and Lothar Walthers. All were good to great but the McGowen was the best bang for the buck.