PDA

View Full Version : St. Baldrick's Charity for Children's Cancer

pinsnscrews
03-06-2014, 11:04 PM
A very good friend of mine is doing the St. Baldrick's Charity Event near her this year.

What is it? http://www.stbaldricks.org/

It is an organization that takes up where Locks of Love leaves off, and only accepts donations for Children's Cancer Research and Support organizations.

Locks of Love is where you can donate your hair for cancer patients to have wigs made. They are very picky on the quality of the hair and not everyone is able to donate.

St. Balderick's takes donation/pledges for someone to have their head shaved bald to help make the kids who have cancer more comfortable. If a child can lose their hair from chemo for up to a year, the act of an adult, who does not have cancer to have their head shaved means a lot.

So what does this have to do with me?

My Granddaughter Evie turns 2 on the 18th of March. At the age of 4 months old she was diagnosed with Bi-Lateral Retinoblastoma. A rare form of a genetic cancer that manifests in a child's eyes. She went through 6 months of Chemo before she was a year old. Though the cancer is currently in arrest, she has severe scarring in her right eye from the tumor. We were fortunate, and able to get Evie the treatment she needed, and have a good prognosis for making sure she is still getting that continued treatment in the future.

Not all families we met were as lucky. In some cases, the best action is to remove the afflicted eye completely. The children will always suffer from residual cancers, and be susceptible to other cancers as they grow up. I had the pleasure of having an RB survivor in my home for a week while she was touring the US and meeting with other survivors. It was very humbling.

So again, you might ask, what does that have to do with me?

Julene, has decided that she is going to have all donations pledged through her web page, Donated to St. Baldrick's in Evie's name. This means a lot to us, it is in a small way how we can pay it forward to help other kids and families. We are often contacted by families that just got the diagnosis to help give moral support and to help get them in contact with some of the same support organizations that St. Baldrick's funnels donated funds to.

So if you would like to help with Children's Cancer and Support, please help me pay it forward, and donate through Julene at:
http://www.stbaldricks.org/participa...ge/701331/2014

Her donations will be going to a very good cause.

And for a very beautiful young woman, to have the inner strength and confidence to make such a pledge when she has no children of her own, and to honor my family by doing so in Evie's name means so much to us.

Thank you!

I to will be doing the St. Baldrick's shave, but in this, it means more right now having you support Julene in her campaign.

For more information regarding Retinoblastoma
My Granddaughter Evie is one of the Banner Children for Daisy Eye Cancer Fund, and international charity that hopes to bring early detection and more knowledge regarding Retinoblastoma. The white dot in her right eye is the tumor, and shows how easy it is to detect, yet no one knows anything about it.

http://www.daisyfund.org/home.html

priell3
03-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Friend of mine got his dome shaved on live TV last Friday. He raised $2,600.

pinsnscrews
03-18-2014, 10:45 PM
NICE! Every penny is appreciated.