PDA

View Full Version : .416 barrett?

Stewy
03-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Last weekend at the range I saw someone at bench rest shooting a .50bmg... which I know is not allowed at our range. Curiosty set in and I asked the range master does he have special permission to shot a 50? Range Master shrugged his shoulders and told me it was a .416 barrett round!?

Now that I know this round exisit I have to ask if Savage has any plans to make a .416 barrett? The .416 round shoots faster, flatter, and has less wind drift than the 50BMG, and you can shoot it at your local range!

A 110 BA .416 Barrett would be BADASS!!!

scope eye
03-06-2014, 03:41 PM
That round was developed to get around the 50BMG, rules, regs, and laws, it wasn't they only reason, but it was a big factor.

Dean

shoalwater
03-06-2014, 09:35 PM
I don't see Savage ever building a 416 Barrett, it is a very specialized round with very few followers or available components. It would also require a totally new action size, the Lapua actions are way to small both in diameter and length. If I remember right, it is basically a necked down and shortened 50BMG. COL was somewhere around 4.5" or 4.6" on my buddies loads for his. He ended up selling his as the bullet selection is next to none and the solids just punched right through everything he shot with it, forcing him to take multiple follow up shots to bring down game. He has a 338 Lapua now and has been much happier, but he is currently looking at 375 Chey Tac for his next build. If money were no object for me, which unfortunately it very much is, I would build a 375 or 408 Chey Tac to play out to really really really long ranges.

03-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Didn't Ronnie Barrett name it the .416 PC ("Politically Correct") or something like that to thumb his nose at California?

defoxer
03-08-2014, 02:40 AM
As mentioned, you cant physically fit a BMG case in the 110, the closest you'd get to the Barrett is cramming a 416 Weatherby Mag into the sav.... its only 10% or so down on the Barrett in velocity