PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: 220F help/short review

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Blue Avenger
03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Ok, broken tip

trappst
03-17-2010, 09:47 PM
From the shoulder above the cocking pin it measures 5.755" to the tip. Should be a good reference number. My caliper is only a 6" so I could not measure total overall length accurately.

Mine is 5.722"ish so I've definitely got a broken firing pin or something along those lines. If it did break, it's a clean break....very flat.

Could somebody tell me the barrel thread and muzzle diameter on the 220F?

Shank size should be the same as the large shank Savage. Although I can't confirm that or the pitch, etc.

only1asterisk
03-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Mine is 5.722"ish so I've definitely got a broken firing pin or something along those lines. If it did break, it's a clean break....very flat.

I could be that is was turned on an automated machine and the piece of stock was slightly shorter than it was supposed to have been.

EFBell
03-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Well thats pretty close to "30 thou" shy. So I'm guessing we found the problem for sure.

trappst
03-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Quick update: Part II

Got the new parts from Savage. I had them ship me a new firing pin and spring just in case. Got the new parts installed and the firing pin protrusion is now .051".

Unfortunately, I won't have time to do any more shooting for a few days so I'll confirm the fix once I put some more rounds down range.

Thanks again to all! BTW, Savage customer service was fabulous!

EFBell
05-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Steve, have you been out testing this bad boy yet?

trappst
05-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Nope, I haven't had time. I did replace the medium Sig Zee rings with some high rings as the extracted shell was hitting the scope every once in a while.

I've got some 3" ammo ready to go but I just gotta find time to shoot.

Have you shot yours yet?

EFBell
05-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Yep, burnt up about 100 bucks in slugs already and it did not take long. Nothing spectacular yet, shooting about 1-3/4" at 100 best to date with federal 3" slugs. Got some 2-3/4" Barnes tipped remmys and some "big dollar" winny's to try next. Hornady's were all over the place at about 3-1/2 to 4". Swapped scopes as the bushnell 4200 was hitting me in the forehead. Put a VXII 3x9 on it and that solved the eye relief problem. Pretty stout recoil off the bench with this little bugger.

trappst
05-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Ed,

Got out and shot the 220F a little yesterday. Firing pin problem is solved...every round went boom.

Ejection issues were solved with the high Burris Sig zee's.....still gotta work the bolt like ya mean it though.

Accuracy has been like yours. Nothing spectacular but mine likes the 2 3/4" Remington Accutips the best so far. Everything else I've tried has been kinda all over.

I'm still waiting on some 3" Accutips to try as well. I am gonna bed this one as the barrel isn't centered in the stock and I'll bet the recoil lug isn't making full contact on the pillar.

EFBell
05-11-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm looking to bed mine too. At least at the front pillar and lug.

pdog06
06-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Well, yesterday I joined you guys as a 220 owner. Course, you guys already know that cause Ive talked to you about it already...LOL Still gotta get the scope base for it, and may buy a Sightron S1 2.5-10 scope for it too.

First thing Im doing when I get home from work today is checking my firing pin protrusion ;). My bolt is dragging badly also from the matte finish on it, so Ill probably polish it this weekend like you did Ed.

Probably wont shoot it till I get to the Pa Shoot on June 26th though, as theres too much going on and I need to do some reloading for my other rifles in my spare time.

Anyone else on here have one of these guns, and if so how you likin it?

pdog06
06-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Finally took mine out to try it yesterday. I put a EGW base, Burris Sigzee medium rings, and a Leupold UltimateSlam 2-7x33 on it.
I tried the Remington 2 3/4" Accutips and it didnt like them at all. It shot a group of about 3-4".

So then I tried some Federal Premium 3" with the Barnes Expander, and it really likes them. They shot about 5 inches higher at 100yds compared to the 2 3/4 remmys, and man did it make this gun bark!!!! It shoots a 3foot flame outa the barrel and recoils noticable harder than the others. My group with this slug was an amazing 1.34" (center to center)@ 100yds. Not too bad for a shotgun, huh!

So with 1 slug left I let Pahog try to shoot the 15" metal gong out at 300 yds, using the ballistic reticle in my scope. TING!!!!!!!!!! He connected even though I had the power at the wrong setting for the drop reticle for that bullet(had it on 7x and it need to be on 4x). That was very promising for sure!! Come on deer season!

Tackdriver
06-28-2010, 12:43 AM
For you 220 owners, is the receiver itself a long action centerfire receiver with different internals? Or are the actions screws and trigger/magazine area different? I'm curious if you could restock one with a long action stock .....

EFBell
06-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Daaam! Mike, I shoulda had you shoot mine for me!

pdog06
06-28-2010, 12:39 PM
For you 220 owners, is the receiver itself a long action centerfire receiver with different internals? Or are the actions screws and trigger/magazine area different? I'm curious if you could restock one with a long action stock .....

It is based off of a long action, and I believe even has the same action screw spacing. But the ejection port is more like one on a target action, but longer. The bolt bodies are larger than a centerfire also.

Im not sure but I think you could restock it, but havent pulled mine apart yet to compare.

pdog06
06-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Daaam! Mike, I shoulda had you shoot mine for me!

No thanks. With those 3"ers shooting mine in was enough for me. Justin may have wanted to though.

Here ya go. I still have to adjust my windage, but wanted to see how it grouped so I left it like that and made the adjustment when I was done. Coulda made it a 5shot group, but wanted to use my last slug to hit the 300yd gong.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/2010%20Shootout/2010Savageshoot043.jpg

EFBell
06-28-2010, 03:43 PM
How was the feeding and ejection?

pdog06
06-28-2010, 05:24 PM
How was the feeding and ejection?

feeding and ejection was perfect as long as you pulled the bolt back like you meant it. You couldnt go easy on it or it wouldnt spit it out. The bolt was stiff due to the matte finish on the bolt body(like yours), but it did ease up a tad after working it for a while. I will still polish it though.

Overall I really like it and am excited to hunt with it.

pa hog
06-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Hitting the 300yd gong with a 20 gauge slug was pretty sick to..!!! ;D

EFBell
06-28-2010, 08:25 PM
OK, what was that scope you bought again? LOL... I may just have to look into that.