PDA

View Full Version : Inherited a 224 TTH

Mertenspro
03-06-2014, 01:28 AM
I recently inherited a 224 TTh. I don't have any experience with the wildcat but I have done some research and found the Pro's and cons. I see a lot of guys talking they burned their barrel out after 1000 rounds or more. I'll assure you I won't shoot that many rounds through this rifle but it has my attention and I want to do something with it! Like coyotes at 400 yds. I didn't get any info with the gun but here is what I know: its a Savage 110 long action, 1:9 twist(best I can measure), with fluted barrel(no name on it with a two letter and 4 digit serial number), and what looks to like a Remington stock with the barrel glass bedded. What do you all think? input please!!! Does anyone have some dies and/or brass? Thanks

35Whelenshooter
03-06-2014, 01:50 AM
I have one. Hornady has dies for it, Hornady also list reloading data in their #9 manual. My barrel is 1/8 twist I have not worked any loads as of yet, I purchased my from a member on the forum.

Brass is 6mm Remington which seams to little hard to find these days.

Has for being a barrel burner, I can't see any difference from 224TTH or shooting a 220 Swift.
Don't need to run full bore max loads. Even if you start to lose a little accuracy from the barrel, you could have it setback 1/2" cut a new chamber and a way you go again.

Hotolds442
03-06-2014, 01:55 AM
Sounds like a nice gun, although I'm not sure it's possible to fit a Savage action to a Remington stock. A 6mm Remington Lee collet die with a 22 cal collet installed will be your easiest method for neck sizing the brass, short of finding a set of TTH dies somewhere. With the faster twist barrel you have, running in the neighborhood of 70 grain bullets with lower than maximum powder charges should result in a lot better barrel life than 1000 rounds.

claysshotgunner
03-06-2014, 11:27 AM
I looked everywhere trying to find 224 TTH dies. No one had any or had plans to make any. But, I really want one. lol

The 22-6mm is essentially the same thing. Very slight difference
or some people say exactly the same. So, I bought 22-6mm Hornady dies.

The brass is very easy to make. You take a 6mm Remington case, put it in the die and neck it to 22. That is all you do. The problem is finding the 6mm Remington brass.

Mertenspro
03-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Thanks for all the info!!! I'm sure your right about the Savage action in a Remington stock, although they look really similar!! I'm sure I'm in for a lot of headaches with getting this firearm set up and ready to go but it should be interesting to say the least!!! I'll look into Hornady again, the last time I looked on their sight, they weren't making specific custom dies, but hope they have the 22-6 dies still in stock!!! The brass is yet another challenge like you state, but I was in a Sportsman Warehouse yesterday and they had loaded 6mm Remington ammo in 100 gr core-lok. I was under the assumption that you couldn't get loaded 6mm ammo any more? If you hear of any out there please let me know, and like-wise on my end!!!

Another part of this I want to change is the trigger! I tested it and it started out at 4 3/4 -5 1/2 lb. I backed the set screw off as much as possible without it falling it out and at its best I got 3 1/4 - 4 ish lbs!!!! There is virtually no creep. On that note, what's my options with the limitations to this trigger or what's a good set up. I would like to trim it down to 2 lbs., or less if I choose to!!! Thanks again

claysshotgunner
03-07-2014, 06:46 PM
I bought my 22-6 dies on ebay. Brand new.

Here are some on ebay now. There may be others. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornady-Series-IV-Specialty-Die-Set-22-6MM-224-546249-/351012198271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b9f5177f