PDA

View Full Version : DuraCoat questions

Axtell3
03-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi all,
I'm considering Duracoat for my 111, I've read a bit about it, but no one seems to mention if it affects dissasembly. It seems most are recommending that the action and barrel be assembled and sprayed as one, I was just thinking how much fun a switch barrel would be with epoxy paint holding it together.
Thanks!
Axtell3

rjtfroggy
03-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Dura coat is good stuff for refinishing I did a Colt 45 slide and a Colt POLICE POSITIVE for a friend it holds up real good, but some needs to be baked on and it will smell up the house.
Most guys have turned to Krylon and I haven't seen any complaints yet.
If it were me I would disassemble paint and bake and be done with it.

03-15-2010, 02:39 PM
I have done 5 firearms with DuraCoat. To me it is easier to take the firearm apart and spray them that way, but it is easier to camo when it is together, I am no artist! I didn't have any problems taking apart the two I coated while together. I don't bake any of mine, just let them cure for a few days.

steveinwv
03-15-2010, 02:50 PM
A friend did a stainless 5R Rock Creek .243AI barrel with Duracoat. He did it by the book (disassembled, cleaned, sprayed, baked, blah, blah, blah) and it looks like crap. Krylon would be less likely to chip. When the barrel gets anywhere near hot, the coating gets soft. Of course the gun shoots like a turd, so it may as well look like a turd. Maybe it's a barrel thing and not a Duracoat thing.

03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Yea, steveinwv, I am guessing some thing went wrong. I don't even bake my stuff and the 2 ARs I have done hold up great when the barrel got really hot! Worked out well for me because I actually got to sell them for a profit! The duracoat seems to be tough as nails so far. Only bad thing is it is a bugger to get off when you want to change colors, or go back to the origional.

This one definately needs to go back to it's origional color after the wife told me she didn't want to hunt.
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad288/319Savage260/purpleencore.jpg

This one got really hot on a few occasions!!
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad288/319Savage260/ARduracoat.jpg

stevec
03-15-2010, 05:51 PM
If the duracoat is chiping, I would guess that it was out of date or the hardner was not mixed right. The only problem i have is changing colors. It dont come off easilly.

Steve

Axtell3
03-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks!