PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice/direction with replacing the synthetic stock on my new 111 TH XP

jholbert
03-05-2014, 04:26 PM
I've been looking in to buying a Boyd's stock for my new Trophy Hunter XP and I've learned that I have to replace the bottom metal to do so. My rifle is chambered in .243 and everywhere I have looked to get the bottom metal kit, that caliber is not listed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

barrel-nut
03-06-2014, 01:14 PM
I have not done it, but I would feel confident that .308 bottom metal would work just fine with your .243. I'd bet that it's identical, as the .243, .260, and 7-08 all share the .308 parent case.

jholbert
03-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks. I thought maybe that was the case. Would look for bottom metal in .308 for a 10/110?

ebrown
03-06-2014, 09:16 PM
I just did that with my Trophy Hunter XP. I called Savage and told them I was changing stocks and they told me exactly what to get. Pretty easy. Not cheap, but easy. You need to also get the trigger guard.

I was an idiot. I got a stock off Ebay. Needed a lot more inletting than a Boyd's would have. I think the cost difference works out to a couple dollars an hour. Maybe.

jholbert
03-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Ok thanks I'll do that. The trigger guard doesn't look very durable.
When you change the bottom metal, does that enable you to use a larger magazine? I saw one from a company other than Savage, but didn't know if their magazine was dedicated to their version of the metal kit...

ebrown
03-06-2014, 10:31 PM
I don't believe so. I've seen two different larger magazines, and both require their own bottom metal. I didn't look into it. I plan on hunting, and if I take four shots at something, it's either on the ground or way out of range.

bootsmcguire
03-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Only Savage magazines and the larger extended Savage magazines from SSS will work with the Savage bottom metal. The aftermarket mags need bottom metals such as the ones from CDI and similar designs.

jholbert
03-06-2014, 10:45 PM
I just want something different than the flush mount plastic pos mag that came with the rifle. I have to judo chop it to get to snap in lol.

bootsmcguire
03-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Like said above, you may want to contact Savage and get all the parts to convert to the actual "metal" bottom metal DBM hardware. Depending on price though you may want to switch to something like a CDI or PT&G bottom metal, not sure of the costs of the factory stuff direct from Savage. Something to look into.

jholbert
03-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Will do. Thanks!

jholbert
03-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Total rookie question here...but how do I determine if I have a long or short action?

jholbert
03-07-2014, 12:02 PM
I read that if the rifle has a detachable magazine, it's a long action, correct?

Rifleshooter308
03-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Barrel-Nuts right on. The .308 parent case calibers will all fit into the .308 mag. .308, 7-08, .243, .260, 22-250 and the wildcats.

bootsmcguire
03-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Total rookie question here...but how do I determine if I have a long or short action?
The simplest way if you have a newer (last 15 years or so) rifle that is unaltered and still in factory form, is to look at the model number stamped on the barrel and see if it is a 2 or 3 digit number. Two digit is short action and 3 digit is long action.

Since it can be difficult to tell if a rifle has been altered in some cases, the sure fire definite way is to measure your action screws. 4.27" or 4.40" is a short action and 5.062" is a long action.

I read that if the rifle has a detachable magazine, it's a long action, correct?
No, not the case at all. Long or Short actions can have a DBM. The Axis rifles are a different story and some of the older styled DBM's from the older flat rear actions can be a different story.

Read through the articles in the Savage FAQ (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?123-savage-faq-s) section of this site and they will teach you most of the basic things you will need to know about Savage Rifles and what is what and what fits what in regards to parts interchangeability.

jholbert
03-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Ok thanks! I just bought it new last week. Model 111. I'll do some reading and quit asking dumb questions lol.

bootsmcguire
03-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Ok thanks! I just bought it new last week. Model 111. I'll do some reading and quit asking dumb questions lol.

If you bought it new last week chances are it is a 11 and not a 111 if it is chambered in 243 Win. Perhaps I misread your description on it above. Many box stores and even some LGS's will put 111 on the price tags whether it is a 11 or a 111 just so they only print 1 tag, or just laziness I suppose or possibly they themselves don't know the difference.

Ask away with the questions, but I find that quite frequently by directing people to the Savage FAQ (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?123-savage-faq-s) section that they end up finding information that answers questions they didn't even know they had.

Welcome to the Savage Addiction, The Support Group meets on Thursdays......;)

jholbert
03-07-2014, 09:45 PM
It is an 11. Addiction is right. I stopped by my lgs tiday after work and they just got a new 93R17. I've been wanting one but I didn't get it. If it's there tomorrow it's mine lol.