PDA

View Full Version : Detachable Box Mag Systems

badmutha6
03-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Alright guys, I would imagine that this has been posted a million times but I can't seem to find it anywhere and I'd appreciate any help.
Here's my current setup:
I am currently running a 308 Hog Hunter in .308 with a Primary Arms 4-16 mil-dot optic. Before I hear about the optic, for $200 and its FFP and actually really clear, its a resetable zero, and the clicks work well as I was dialing out to 700 last saturday. Yes its Chinese which sucks, yes there's no warranty, but yes its actually a decent scope and exceptional for the money as the next FFP mil dot reticle is the Vortex Viper PST (Also not made in America) and its $899, hence my purchase. I have a Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist on it and a YHM QD Brake for my YHM titanium Phantom can. I absolutely love the complete setup, its a helluva shooter. Best groups are under .5" with some at .3" with 168gr Federal Gold Medal match tipped with the Sierra HPBT.

I want to have the stock inletted for DBM and I've heard CDI Precision being referred and recommended here. I've called them and they seem awesome. My 2 questions are this:

Pro's and Con's for getting this done other than the cost?
Why doesn't anyone use M1A or some other mag that goes up to 20 rounds? The AI mags are nice but really expensive!

Thanks guys,
Matt

RatMag
03-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Here is a basic rundown for the different things that you have inquired about...

CDI does good, quick work on the DBM inletting for the B&C stocks. Just depending on which inlet you actually choose. He can inlet the stock for use with his DBM, or a different one. You will need to decide which bottom metal you prefer.

AI type bottom metal vs. Savage bottom metal...

Here is where it gets tricky. All of the AI type bottom metals are pricey, and the AI type magazines that go with them are pricey. They are tried and true methods of obtaining the DBM setup you are after, and there are ALOT of people that run them. I used too as well.

My preference is the factory Savage bottom metal. I prefer this route for several reasons. 1st, COST!! The factory setups can be had fairly inexpensively. That is based on the cost of the bottom metal, inletting, and magazines, including high capacity ones.

I also prefer the factory Savage magazines due to being able to top load the magazines, as well as being able to load rounds into the magazine while it is still inserted into the stock. And yes, they can still be loaded 1 round at a time in single shot fashion. Also, I prefer the Savage magazine release button in the front, as oppposed to the rear release tab. I can fully control the Savage setup easily by grasping the full magazine, and still easily release the magazine with my index finger. With the rear release tab, while you can do it while grasping the magazine with your fore fingers and releasing the magazine with your thumb, I have more control with the Savage.

To address your other question concerning the utilization of the M1A or other magazines that hold 20 rounds. The biggest problem here is, getting the proper orientation of the magazine feed lips in relation to the receiver for the bolt to pick up the rounds. Yes, it can be done, but there just hasn't been enough interest in the shooting communities to go this route. The AI magazines are basically the "flagship" style of magazine, and therefore the largest customer base to appeal too.

DK

RatMag
03-05-2014, 02:52 PM
I also forgot to mention, the newer Savage rifles are "centerfeed" style, and therefore have to be either a centerfeed/single stack magazine, or a centerfeed/double stack magazine. The M1A could, in theory, be used with the former staggerfeed Savages, but that would be a very specific market to deal with.

DK

Tantor
03-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Added question
I have the axis 270 and would to make it a higher capacity mag. What would doing so entail?

blfuller
03-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Pacific Tool and Gauge (https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=129_230&products_id=1622&zenid=qjkfghajunga7gpds976offvq6) are making bottom metal as well

CAPTBEACH
03-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Go CDI...I'm running 2 on a 110 308 and a 10 243AI...you wont be sorry...I have seen the PTG DBM...they need to work on cosmetics..UGLY ASS DBM...

Hotolds442
03-05-2014, 08:34 PM
If your PA scope is really first focal plane, it's a 4-14 power and carries a three year warranty. If it truly is a 4-16 power, it's second focal plane and has a one year warranty for the illuminated model, and a three year warranty for the non-illuminated version. RatMag pretty much summed up the answer to your question.

badmutha6
03-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Hot, my bad. Yes its the 4-14 FFP my mistake. I really did think there wasn't a warranty on them but thus far I haven't had any issues with it. I figured for the savings, it was worth the gamble until I put something nicer on it. Does anyone know if the AI mags that are used on the Ruger GSR and interchangeable on the CDI system? They make some poly mags for $40 vs $80 for the AI mags. Could try one out and see. I'll be shipping the stock off next week.

whiskey
03-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Don't mean to steer off topic but another +1 for the 4-14 optic by primary arms. Incredible value for the money.