PDA

View Full Version : Dry fire OK?

Not_Infringed
03-05-2014, 01:21 AM
I figure it is, but I just want to be 150% sure. I have a Model 10 with an Accutrigger.

Stockrex
03-05-2014, 01:48 AM
r u practicing for camp perry? if yes, then no.
else u r fine.

BillPa
03-05-2014, 02:34 AM
I figure it is, but I just want to be 150% sure. I have a Model 10 with an Accutrigger.

I say no.

When dry firing the the firing pin or protrusion adjustment nut slams into the bolt head shaft which transfers that hammer blow to the bolt head retaining pin and will or may fracture the sides of pin at the hole where the pin passes through it.

Can I say it will or has happened? No, but why take the chance. Snap caps are cheap insurance it won't.

You don't have to rush out to buy them, a case with a pencil eraser or RTV in the primer pocket works just fine. I have a drawer full of them for that very reason.

Bill

Nemesis
03-05-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm with, BillPa. As cheap as snap caps are, I wouldn't consistently dry fire a weapon. Not saying I've not done it, but not often.

big honkin jeep
03-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Or if you just want to keep the tension off the firing pin spring for storage, Just hold the trigger when you close the bolt and it wont cock in the first place.

thermaler
03-05-2014, 07:50 PM
I say no.

When dry firing the the firing pin or protrusion adjustment nut slams into the bolt head shaft which transfers that hammer blow to the bolt head retaining pin and will or may fracture the sides of pin at the hole where the pin passes through it.

Can I say it will or has happened? No, but why take the chance. Snap caps are cheap insurance it won't.

You don't have to rush out to buy them, a case with a pencil eraser or RTV in the primer pocket works just fine. I have a drawer full of them for that very reason.

Billgreat idea

emtrescue6
03-05-2014, 09:33 PM
I say no.

Bill

OK, the only challenge I see with using the eraser or RTV version is the surface of both are so flexible that I don't see them really absorbing the firing pin strike much more than dry firing...a snap cap is actually pretty solid...I think it sounds like a great idea, I just don't know it will really "save" your firing pin...just thinking out loud...

sharpshooter
03-05-2014, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't go to the trouble of a snap cap. I've only seen one cross pin break, and it wasn't from dry firing. I had one rifle that was set up for trigger demo's and it was dry fired over 10,000 times with no ill effects. The chances of your cross pin breaking is about 1 in .......well, you have a better chance of getting knocked up. :p

Luke45
03-06-2014, 12:33 AM
i dry fire everyone of my guns all the time for practice. probably thousands of times over thier lives, and so do most the people i know. never seen anything break ever, or ever heard of a problem other than on a rimfire which your not supposed to dry fire anyway. Dry fire as much as you want

Luke45
03-06-2014, 12:39 AM
OK, the only challenge I see with using the eraser or RTV version is the surface of both are so flexible that I don't see them really absorbing the firing pin strike much more than dry firing...a snap cap is actually pretty solid...I think it sounds like a great idea, I just don't know it will really "save" your firing pin...just thinking out loud...
Im with you on that as well, but to each his own i guess. If it gives you more confidence and makes you feel better about your rifle then go for it