PDA

View Full Version : Caught a 308 bug

MDM
03-15-2010, 07:45 AM
So last week, I traded for a TC Icon in 308. It's my first 308 and I love shooting it, but it is a light rifle and really starts to tenderize my shoulder after 10 rounds or so. (I'm only 160 lbs) So, I got to thinking I would like another 308 but I would want it heavier, so I could shoot it comfortably, longer. Would an additional 4 lbs cut down the recoil a bit?

Here is is where Savage comes in: I've got a 6 year old Stevens 200 in .223 and I thought, why not try my first Savage build. I thought about trying out a Choat stock and maybe a Shilen or McGowen bull barrel in 26 or 28" to give me some extra weight. What all would I need to do the switch? Tell me if I'm missing anything: Barrel nut wrench, new bolt head, new barrel, new SSS trigger, and new stock. Thanks guys.

pdog06
03-15-2010, 08:44 AM
bolthead, baffle(w/o the extension piece), magbox, follower.

tools.....go/no-go gauges, barrel nut wrench and either an action wrench or barrel blocks.

Depending on where you live, one of us with tools may be close by and can help ya out. Let us know when you get the parts.

MDM
03-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks! Would it be feasible to try to do a trade in the classifieds - a Stevens 200 .223 complete bolt w/mag and follower, for a a Stevens 200 .308 complete bolt w/mag and follower?

rjtfroggy
03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
You say a bull barrel so why not try a heavier laminate stock factory or after market, also a good recoil pad and decent bench rests front and rear. Some are going to tell you a muzzle brake but to me the extra noise doesn't justify the little bit of recoil reduction. If you reload you can also cut back on the load a little. Lots of remedies but it also depends on the use of the gun,hunting, bench, combo all of these will factor into the solutions.

pphreed
03-15-2010, 10:28 AM
You might look at a Knoxx comstock works well on my 257 STW Not so well on my 300 WSM midway has them if you have a hollow stock

MDM
03-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm thinking about the Heavy Benchrest stock that SSS has.

pdog06
03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm thinking about the Heavy Benchrest stock that SSS has.

I have that stock and it is very very nice...

It is feasable to try a trade.. Actually theres a couple ads for the same thing right now.

MDM
03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Starting to run the numbers and it seems I will have almost as much money in doing the change-over as buying a new Model 12 Benchrest dual port in 308. Would the Stevens action with a Shilen or McGowen be as accurate as a stock Model 12 Benchrest?

TexasThunder
03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
With you building you know what you have, buying a complete gun can be a gamble. I think building yours I think is the best way go both money and experience wise.

pdog06
03-15-2010, 07:04 PM
With you building you know what you have, buying a complete gun can be a gamble. I think building yours I think is the best way go both money and experience wise.

I agree. Plus when you see how easy a aftermarket barrel cleans you'll be amazed.