PDA

View Full Version : McGowen barrels

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Dennis
04-15-2014, 03:54 AM
LOL, I think barrel-nut has a good idea/thought!

Dennis

earl39
04-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Why not?? There are gain twist barrels out there now so why not a screw on gain twist? Might be something for some brave soul to look into.

barrel-nut
04-15-2014, 03:43 PM
One problem would be getting the rifling to align with the existing barrel, otherwise it would re-engrave the bullet and probably cause a helluva pressure spike.

earl39
04-15-2014, 04:00 PM
That would be the brave soul and it would have to be timed to the barrel so a serial number or some other way to mark it would be in order. of course there will always be some idiot out there that would cause a problem. Maybe we should just forget i mentioned it.

mikeooa
04-21-2014, 08:31 PM
I filed U.S. Patent #9388343098 yesterday, Back-off!!
Mike S

barrel-nut
04-21-2014, 11:40 PM
^^brave soul^^

Ovrmydeadbdy
04-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Here is the link to my new Mcgowen barrel on my 7mm rem mag.
http://savageshooters.com/showthread.php?t=35488

scope eye
05-05-2014, 02:08 PM
My 260AI 10 twist will stabilize bullets up to 120gr, and my 264 WinMag 10 twist will stabilize bullets up to 140gr.

Dean

6mmBR_Shooter
05-05-2014, 06:09 PM
My 260AI 10 twist will stabilize bullets up to 120gr, and my 264 WinMag 10 twist will stabilize bullets up to 140gr.

Dean

But you send them off at 10,000fps!

Jonl
05-12-2014, 06:53 PM
My first three shot group through my McGowen 22-250 9 twist barrel with Sierra 53 gr. match king and 35 gr. H380 was less than 1/4 " and it shoots under 1/2" with several other loads. Love it

rob.dizz.89
05-21-2014, 02:48 AM
I'm sooo glad this thread exists. I thought I had done enough homework when I recently bought my McGowen barrel, but a couple days after I submitted and paid for my order I read a few comments on a different forum that got me second guessing. I read a comment in this thread that made a lot of sense to me though: people are ten times more likely to write a bad review than a good one (paraphrasing) and I would have to agree with that. If there are only a few unhappy customers out of all the people they sell barrels to, then I feel way better about going with McGowen. I'm sure every aftermarket barrel company has had a few customers in the past that had complaints, but that's business for ya, can't make everyone happy. Also, I've read that on the slim chance that there is a problem, they are very good at making it right which really gives me peace of mind. I just ordered my barrel last week, and I'm having them install one of their "turbo brakes" so it'll be another couple weeks before I receive my order, but I already can barely stand it I'm so excited! This is my first custom build (besides a Ruger 10/22 that a 5 year-old can put together) so I've had to do a ton of reading. Now I know some of the in-and-outs of what components are needed to make the rifle as accurate as possible and I feel pretty confident that I have everything I need. Hopefully in a month or so if everything goes as planned, I'll be slinging lead downrange!

rob.dizz.89
05-22-2014, 01:57 AM
Forgot to ask in my last comment, but can you guys tell me what the average turn-around time is for a pre-fit that McGowen had in stock? I'm having them add a brake so the turn-around time will be a week or two longer....just curious as to when I should start expecting it being delivered and when I should start getting worried. Do they send you a notification and/or a tracking number when they ship out the barrels?

Ovrmydeadbdy
05-22-2014, 01:58 AM
I received my pre fit in 11 weeks with no brake. We'll worth it and a lot less time than any other precision barrel company.

Dennis
05-22-2014, 02:16 AM
Forgot to ask in my last comment, but can you guys tell me what the average turn-around time is for a pre-fit that McGowen had in stock? I'm having them add a brake so the turn-around time will be a week or two longer....just curious as to when I should start expecting it being delivered and when I should start getting worried. Do they send you a notification and/or a tracking number when they ship out the barrels?

You don't need to get worried. The break adds about 7 days to the order, avg is 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. Yes, you will get your UPS tracking number.

PM you order number and I will check on it.

Dennis