PDA

View Full Version : McGowen barrels

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

BoilerUP
03-14-2014, 04:01 PM
I bought a SS 6.5 TCU from them and it is fantastic....

ron

I'm curious to know barrel length and velocities you are seeing from your 6.5TCU

Rich
03-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Didn't ya read my post from two days ago ?? "My New McGowen 1 in 9 .223 Savage pre fit"
My requirements are 1/2 minute of angle as I am still at heart...a prone shooter. And it apears my new McGowen will do that with ease. I'd buy another

Apache
03-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Have you contacted them? I'm sure they would try to make it right for you.

Tokimini
03-18-2014, 02:55 PM
I did contact them and they offered to polish the barrel and pay the shipping both ways, but with all the problems with the original shipping I decided to do it myself. A couple of hours with automotive polishing compound and it's starting to look pretty good. A couple of more and it will look like a quality barrel.

EOD350
03-18-2014, 03:40 PM
I have a McGowan on a L/R starter rifle I made three years ago in .260. It shoots 123 Scenars in tniy little clusters and I shoot it to 850 regularly. Little slow to clean up, but no other issues.

Dennis
03-18-2014, 09:04 PM
I did contact them and they offered to polish the barrel and pay the shipping both ways, but with all the problems with the original shipping I decided to do it myself. A couple of hours with automotive polishing compound and it's starting to look pretty good. A couple of more and it will look like a quality barrel.

FYI, I personally contacted Tokimini and offered to help him anyway I could. I don't know what else I can do at this point. The barrels should be a tac driver. The biggest issue is the barrel was shipped to his billing address instead of his shipping address. We try to make every situation right if there is an issue.

Thanks, Dennis

Ovrmydeadbdy
03-18-2014, 10:35 PM
I know this s my first post here, but I have been waiting for my Mcgowen barrel for near 8 weeks now.

foxx
03-18-2014, 11:49 PM
FYI, I personally contacted Tokimini and offered to help him anyway I could. I don't know what else I can do at this point. The barrels should be a tac driver. The biggest issue is the barrel was shipped to his billing address instead of his shipping address. We try to make every situation right if there is an issue.

Thanks, Dennis

I am glad Dennis posted his explanation, but I never doubted there was a reasonable explanation and a more than fair effort to make the customer happy.

IMHO, saying something was sent to the wrong address is not a fair representation of the facts if, in fact, it was actually sent to the billing address rather than shipping address. Saying "it was sent to the wrong address" makes me think it went to the neighbor's or a complete stranger, pretty irresponsible. On the other hand, saying "it was sent to my billing address rather than my shipping address" sounds like an easy, perfectly understandable mistake. The kind that busy, highly productive people make everyday. I'm a financial planner, and in my line of work, Dennis, I can't afford unreasonable customers.

Dennis
03-19-2014, 02:25 AM
I know this s my first post here, but I have been waiting for my Mcgowen barrel for near 8 weeks now.

I sent you a PM, I will be waiting to hear from you.

Dennis

Tokimini
03-19-2014, 09:12 AM
I am glad Dennis posted his explanation, but I never doubted there was a reasonable explanation and a more than fair effort to make the customer happy.

IMHO, saying something was sent to the wrong address is not a fair representation of the facts if, in fact, it was actually sent to the billing address rather than shipping address. Saying "it was sent to the wrong address" makes me think it went to the neighbor's or a complete stranger, pretty irresponsible. On the other hand, saying "it was sent to my billing address rather than my shipping address" sounds like an easy, perfectly understandable mistake. The kind that busy, highly productive people make everyday. I'm a financial planner, and in my line of work, Dennis, I can't afford unreasonable customers.

There was a specific reason I wanted it sent to a separate shipping address. I don't think it was unreasonable to expect it to be shipped there. It was not sent to the address I specified, so it went to the wrong address. You seem to be implying that since it was sent to the billing address they got it kind of right. I highly doubt any of your customers would be pleased if you got their finances kind of right.

RyanG
03-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Im sorry but I dont see any issue here. McGowen had CONTACTED you to make it right, I dont think that there is better customer service than that. You chose not to take them up on it.... stop complaining.

foxx
03-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Of course they would be unhappy about something like that. But I would be more unhappy with them for publicly complaining about a simple mistake that was corrected without harm especially if the story was told in a malicious way. Not necessary. Those kind of customers I cannot afford to work with and stake my reputation with.

the Ranger
03-19-2014, 10:20 AM
There was a specific reason I wanted it sent to a separate shipping address. I don't think it was unreasonable to expect it to be shipped there. It was not sent to the address I specified, so it went to the wrong address. You seem to be implying that since it was sent to the billing address they got it kind of right. I highly doubt any of your customers would be pleased if you got their finances kind of right.

by leaving out certain details you effectively embellished the story to make it sound MUCH worse than it really was. your situation amounts to a minor annoyance, I have had a package go to a complete stranger's house thanks to UPS, and I can tell you that tracking it down was a major pain.

mudpig
03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
I've had great luck with the McGowen barrel for my 270 Gibbs. I sent them a custom reamer and told them what I wanted. I couldn't be more pleased with the fit and finish or the tack driving ability of the barrel. Customer service was amazing as well!! Thanks to all those at McGowen! ....side comment...sounds like the Mrs. found out about your secret project. It's better to get the Mrs. on board from the start on gun projects cause they always cost more than we intend them to.

Ovrmydeadbdy
04-03-2014, 12:08 PM
My Mcgowen barrel arrived yesterday! The sad thing is its now at the gun smith and they said possibly 2 week turnaround because of all the business they have receiving! This sucks! There was no marking on the barrel saying it was from Mcgowen though.....does anyone know why they don't mark their barrels?

the Ranger
04-03-2014, 03:56 PM
There was no marking on the barrel saying it was from Mcgowen though.....does anyone know why they don't mark their barrels?

where would you have them mark it? if it's anywhere on the side of the barrel it might be visible when the rifle is assembled, and I would guess most guys don't want that.

82boy
04-03-2014, 04:39 PM
My Mcgowen barrel arrived yesterday! The sad thing is its now at the gun smith and they said possibly 2 week turnaround because of all the business they have receiving! This sucks! There was no marking on the barrel saying it was from Mcgowen though.....does anyone know why they don't mark their barrels?

Every McGowan barrel I have ever seen is marked.

WYcoyote
04-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Mine isn't marked either. Just the chambering (300 Win Mag) and the number 10 in parenthesis which I'm sure is the pitch in inches.
It ended up on the bolt handle side of the rifle upside down.
I recieved the barrel in Jan. this year so it's fairly current.

Ovrmydeadbdy
04-04-2014, 12:11 AM
where would you have them mark it? if it's anywhere on the side of the barrel it might be visible when the rifle is assembled, and I would guess most guys don't want that.

Any craftsman proud of his work usually marks his work.

82boy
04-04-2014, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=WYcoyote;254566]Just the chambering (300 Win Mag) and the number 10 in parenthesis which I'm sure is the pitch in inches. QUOTE]

That (10) is the twist rate of the barrel. it is a 1 in 10 twist.