PDA

View Full Version : Help with older 110 info...

reivertom
03-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Hello fellows, I'm new to the forum and only recently knew it existed so thanks in advance. My friend was given an absolutely beautiful 110 in 25-06 that was owned by his great uncle. It has a really nice figured walnut stock that has curl similar to curly maple. As far as we can tell it is from the mid to late 60s. What I'm wanting to know is what kind of steel the barrel is made from. It says "stainless" on it, but it has a really dark blued steel color unlike the stainless I have seen in other guns. Is it true stainless like modern guns or is it "sorta" stainless? Also how can he find the actual year it was manufactured?

bapayton
03-03-2014, 08:39 PM
This probably won't answer your question directly but I've read where Winchester 'blued' stainless barrels with what was essentially a coating in hopes of extending barrel life. I mostly think they used the processes on barrel burners. I recently came across this on a 220 swift barrel I acquired. It was stainless (I verified it wouldn't take cold blue, only turned gray) but I was questioned on it and found some obscure references to the process. my bartel was about the same time frame so might be a similar process.....?

darkker
03-03-2014, 11:21 PM
The 416 stainless that current barrels are made of, are only "sorta" stainless....

Luke45
03-03-2014, 11:42 PM
see if a magnet sticks hard or not

Mach2
03-04-2014, 12:11 AM
Relverton any chance you can post some pics of the rifle? I don't think I've ever seen a Savage from that era like the one you describe and I've seen a thousand Savages.

sharpshooter
03-04-2014, 12:57 AM
There are many stainless steel alloys, some magnetic, some not. Barrels are usually made from 416 stainless, which has enough carbon content to be magnetic. 416 is however not 100% rust proof or "stainless". Barrels marked "stainless" that are indeed blue or black in color, were plated with iron, then caustic blued like chrome moly steel.

reivertom
03-04-2014, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I really can't easily get a photo right now, but maybe in the future. I thought it might be a "high end" model because of the nice wood. It has a neatly made button on the side away from the bolt that ejects the magazine. I don't know if that was common for these models. We might be wrong about the age, but the old man who bought it new died in 1976 and had owned it for a while before his death. I don't know when Savage came out with the 110, but it might be older than the mid 60s.

Mach2
03-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Reiverton the 110 came out in 58 or so. Sounds like you have a collector's piece. Maybe you have the very first rifle from the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut?