PDA

View Full Version : Best Ammo .22LR Caliber?

ak-holic
03-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Have a Savage .308(FCP-K). Best I've shot is the Federal Premium 168gr. Matchking BTHP and Hornady 165gr. BTSP.

What do you suggest for the Mark II 22lr BSEV for < MOA at 100 yds.?

Thanks.

mugsie
03-15-2014, 10:52 PM
My MK II loves Wolf target match or SK (probably both made in the same factory). It will shoot everything, but for accuracy? Absolutely no question, go with the Wolf, you will be absolutely amazed.

Oh, and good luck finding any!!!

Jetpig
03-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Lapua with out a doubt

Mach2
03-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Try subsonic ammo. Most folks including me start out using Stingers and Blackbirds because they are fast but Target shooters want accuracy
over speed. As the bullet travels through the sound barrier it shakes and thus gets a slight deviation in direction.
Although I use the fastest 22LR ammo I could do all my hunting with 22 Shorts. We tend to buy what jazzes us rather than what does the job best.
The best thing to do is find a brand that your rifle likes and stick to it. Many times I go paper punching and shoot 5 or 6 different bullets out the same 22. A target shooter would cringe at what I do but I basically paper punch for fun. When I test my centerfire rifles I religiously use the same ammo but not with my 22 rifles. I'll shoot whatever I have on hand with my 22 rifles which is counterproductive to sub moa shooting.
However it is difficult to just shoot the same ammo all the time if you can't locate any of what you use.

mikein
03-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Like Mach2 said: let your rifle be your guide. Gather up as much as you can find, head to the range, and start going through it. One of the brands will stand out and you'll know you've found the right ammo for it. Then go ahead and shoot the rest of it for fun!

243LPR
03-17-2014, 10:34 AM
And when you find what it likes stockpile as much as you can find! It seems whenever I find something I like,whether it's gun stuff or food,it either disappears or they "improve" it and it's just not the same. If it aint broke,why fix it!

the Ranger
03-17-2014, 11:57 AM
I was stuck on Rem Yellowjackets (32gr at 1500fps) for a long time, they held to minute 'o' squirrel head out to 35yds in my gun and I was satisfied with that. not as satisfied with the high number of "duds" I have always gotten with Rem rimfire ammo. I recently put a new scope on my .22 and all I could find for ammo was CCI standard velocity (40gr at 1055?), so I decided to do my site-in and some plinking with them and save the Yellowjackets for hunting. I found the CCI's would place 5 holes touching at 40yds, surprise, the Yj's grouped atleast twice as wide. not bad for my old Winchester m270 pump gun.

Violentstreak
03-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Wolf match target for sure. CCI standard velocity for me is a close second in most of my 22's followed by CCI Minimags for me.

FIREMANBOB
03-20-2014, 10:24 PM
I shoot a Mark II BTVS with Federal AM22 ammo, not too expensive groups hold nicely to 100 yards sub MOA.