PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

Jnat85
03-02-2014, 08:19 PM
1. I have a model 110 in 22-250 and a model 10 in 308 win. Can either or both be modified to take detach magazine??

2. What calibers could I change these to and only have to change the barrels?

Thanks

bootsmcguire
03-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Yes you can change the Model 10 308 to DBM for sure since its a Short Action. If it is a Centerfeed magazine then you can do it with factory parts quite easily with a stock change or inlet performed. If its the older Staggerfeed then you will have to go with a Aftermarket DBM setup like CDI or similar.

The 110 in 22-250 is a Long action that is only cut out for a Short action magazine, but due to the longer action length I do not believe there is a way to get there with factory parts. I have not heard of any aftermarket kits for Long Actions with Short magazines but do some checking as there could be something out there I am unaware of.

Read this ARTICLE (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?269-How-To-Remove-Your-Blind-Mag-Body-and-Follower-(SF-and-CF)) to identify your magazine style and go from there.

As to caliber switches this ARTICLE (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?264-What-Fits-Cartridge-List-(PDF-version)) should help you out. Also with your 110 you can run 30-06 length rounds that use a .473" bolt face, but you will have to run them as a single shot due to your short magazine.

KRP
03-02-2014, 09:39 PM
1. I have a model 110 in 22-250 and a model 10 in 308 win. Can either or both be modified to take detach magazine??

2. What calibers could I change these to and only have to change the barrels?

Thanks

1: Yes, both.

2: Using available .473 case head brass, I think anything up to 45. Has anybody actually done a 45-284, looks like it could work cutting a 284 case at the shoulder?

bootsmcguire
03-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Has anybody actually done a 45-284, looks like it could work cutting a 284 case at the shoulder?

Yup they have, its called the 450 Bushmaster.

bootsmcguire
03-02-2014, 11:32 PM
1: Yes, both.

Who makes a DBM for a 110 LA with the SA mag cutout? I am just curious as I have not seen such a thing.

KRP
03-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Who makes a DBM for a 110 LA with the SA mag cutout? I am just curious as I have not seen such a thing.

I don't know if anybody does, DBMs aren't something I pay much attention to.

bootsmcguire
03-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Ok, was just wondering since you replied to the OP that both could be converted to DBM. I had never seen a 110LA-SA Mag DBM setup and was wondering what you had seen since you said it could be done.

No worries, I am just always looking for new information when its there to be had.

KRP
03-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Three ways to do it that I can think of.

1. Use the old style factory short action DBM set up. This is one I hadn't thought of last night so someone actually does(or did at least) make a DBM set up for the long action/short magazine.

2. Use current style long action DBM and open the mag inlet on the action. Might have feed issues with the short cases and the long magazine.

3. Use current style short action DBM but instead of common screw for front of trigger guard/back of bottom metal use two separate screws. With the short magazine inlet you probably have room to drill/tap another screw hole in the action but I think I'd just use a threaded insert in the stock.