PDA

View Full Version : Which brass do you prefer for reloading?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

scope eye
03-24-2014, 09:43 PM
In an article written for Precision Shooting magazine (2010) Bob Jourdan repeats some proven facts about rifle brass that I have read in other references.

"The brass, however, will begin to flow at something over 70,000 psi, and will totally fail by the time the pressure reaches 80,000 psi."

Further technical information on rifle brass pressure testing in both rough and smooth chambers can be found here.

http://www.varmintal.com/a243zold.htm

I am sorry to inform you, but it is a well known fact that even, Weatherby factory loads were 75,000+ psi in there glory days, eventually and sadly they toned down there factory offerings.

Dean

lscraig1968
03-25-2014, 11:26 AM
I don't shoot competition, and I have all sorts of brass. I personally have not seen any difference in reloads from different brass for what I do. The most demanding activity I shoot is Prairie Dogs at longer ranges. The PD towns we shoot have a range from 250-700 yards clear shot. I could not tell any difference in the rounds I was shooting. All my ammo is mixed cases. They were however trimmed, reamed, FL resized, and run through the tumbler before assembling the new bullet.

They are as consistent as I can make them without buying all brand new components which is cost prohibitive since I shoot common 55 gr PSP, and 55 HP's for dogs. HTH.

Ibex
03-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Guys you are going to think I am a dufus, Frank you already know that I am, but how is it that you know what pressures these hot loads are running at? Is it based from the published data or some magic that I am not privy to?

fgw_in_fla
03-25-2014, 04:20 PM
If it's a hot & heavy load that Deano put together, take the maximum published pressure based on the caliber, projectile, propellant, barrel length and brass type, multiply by 5.45. Then, add up all the numbers in todays date, divide by 7 and add it to the original modified pressure number. Take that number and apply a Framus factor of 2.698.

The final number will be approximately 130 psi less than the pressure of a worked up load by Dean. Now this will work for any caliber under .308. For calibers OVER .308 you have to apply a flognart factor of 3.

And never ask Dean for any "pet" loads. They're all the same. He'll tell you to fill the case up to the brim, turn on the bench grinder for 4 minutes so the vibration settles the powder, top off the case and use the vice to seat the bullet.

Sorry Deano. I just couldn't resist.

scope eye
03-25-2014, 04:38 PM
Great now my trade secrets are out in the open, just like the Soup Nazi, I am going to have to close up shop.LOL

Dean

Ibex
03-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Dean,
What rpm do you run the bench grinder at to settle the powder?

thermaler
03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Great now my trade secrets are out in the open, just like the Soup Nazi, I am going to have to close up shop.LOL

Dean
No cases for you!

scope eye
03-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Dean,
What rpm do you run the bench grinder at to settle the powder?

I offset the grinding wheel that is what does it, and as far as rpm I think it it's 1725.

Dean

Jeremy B
03-26-2014, 06:49 PM
I like brass that is consistent in weight after sizing and trimming. And the mil-spec isn't always the heaviest, my Norma and SSA average a grain or so more than the Lake City 12 and 13 I have for 223. There is a page on accurateshooter.com on 223 that compares the weight and capacity of different cases

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/

foxx
03-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Isn't it great there are people in this forum that will still attempt to answer the OP's question after all the BS being thrown around? :)

scope eye
03-27-2014, 05:56 AM
You have to admire his tenacity.LOL

Dean

fgw_in_fla
03-27-2014, 07:48 AM
Isn't it great there are people in this forum that will still attempt to answer the OP's question after all the BS being thrown around? :)

You call it BS.

We call it discussion on peripheral subject matter.

foxx
03-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Tomato, tomato...

It's all fun. :)

Jeremy B
03-27-2014, 07:25 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/21nih46.jpg

mikein
03-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Well, since I'm the OP, I've got to say that I've enjoyed the discussion and learned a bit along the way. I asked for what brass you preferred and why you preferred it, and with few exceptions, that's what I got! So I say "thanks" to all the serious responders, and can laugh along with the jesters. All courts need jesters to keep it light and lively. :-)

thermaler
03-28-2014, 04:28 AM
Well, since I'm the OP, I've got to say that I've enjoyed the discussion and learned a bit along the way. I asked for what brass you preferred and why you preferred it, and with few exceptions, that's what I got! So I say "thanks" to all the serious responders, and can laugh along with the jesters. All courts need jesters to keep it light and lively. :-)+1 to you. : )

Vince
03-28-2014, 05:09 AM
If it's a hot & heavy load that Deano put together, take the maximum published pressure based on the caliber, projectile, propellant, barrel length and brass type, multiply by 5.45. Then, add up all the numbers in todays date, divide by 7 and add it to the original modified pressure number. Take that number and apply a Framus factor of 2.698.

The final number will be approximately 130 psi less than the pressure of a worked up load by Dean. Now this will work for any caliber under .308. For calibers OVER .308 you have to apply a flognart factor of 3.

And never ask Dean for any "pet" loads. They're all the same. He'll tell you to fill the case up to the brim, turn on the bench grinder for 4 minutes so the vibration settles the powder, top off the case and use the vice to seat the bullet.

Sorry Deano. I just couldn't resist.

I don't care who you are, or how long you been loading, that's funny as Heck! :cool:

scope eye
03-28-2014, 05:33 AM
Well, since I'm the OP, I've got to say that I've enjoyed the discussion and learned a bit along the way. I asked for what brass you preferred and why you preferred it, and with few exceptions, that's what I got! So I say "thanks" to all the serious responders, and can laugh along with the jesters. All courts need jesters to keep it light and lively. :-)

Don't encourage them, It's like feeding a stray cat.

Dean

Vince
03-28-2014, 05:49 AM
Don't encourage them, It's like feeding a stray cat.

Dean

Duly noted.

Vince

fgw_in_fla
03-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Sounds like some of y'all don't appreciate the attempt at humor here.

And Deano, gotcha last.
That was for the ex-wife remarks.