PDA

View Full Version : Which brass do you prefer for reloading?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

barrel-nut
03-23-2014, 09:44 PM
When I can afford it--I always try to buy new Lapua brass; best all-around performing brass and consistency I've experienced. It's expensive, but the cost is returned in long-term performance IMO.

^this. Lapua brass is a work of art compared to some of the stuff that's out there. The higher cost is more than offset by the huge leap in quality.

missed
03-23-2014, 10:41 PM
^this. Lapua brass is a work of art compared to some of the stuff that's out there. The higher cost is more than offset by the huge leap in quality.

That and it seems like the only brass you can find now days too.

masterblaster
03-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Lapua, Win and Lake City, in that order, I have been a fan of win brass but the basic stock of 308 I been shooting over the last 3 years is starting to get some split necks and loose pockets, I have been changing out to the LC for my semi autos over the last year or so. I use Lapua in my bolt guns that are accurized but have been trying the LC and I have to say I am not unhappy with the performance of the mil stuff.

thermaler
03-24-2014, 07:49 AM
I use lots of LC also--it's tough stuff, but I restrict it's use to "Chevrolet" calibers like 308, 5.56--and now I have Lapua for even those, it's worth it to me. I'm not the world's best or most patient reloader, so my standard is partially determined by what is the easiest to work with and what will be the most reliable. Some of my rifles have "tricky" calibers--6.5's mostly, which I have a particular fondness for--and that's when the precision and quality of Lapua really shines--it's the only case I've never had an issue with when pursuing "fringe" loads.

fgw_in_fla
03-24-2014, 08:47 AM
I use lots of LC also--it's tough stuff, but I restrict it's use to "Chevrolet" calibers like 308, 5.56--and now I have Lapua for even those, it's worth it to me. I'm not the world's best or most patient reloader, so my standard is partially determined by what is the easiest to work with and what will be the most reliable. Some of my rifles have "tricky" calibers--6.5's mostly, which I have a particular fondness for--and that's when the precision and quality of Lapua really shines--it's the only case I've never had an issue with when pursuing "fringe" loads.

Chevrolet calibers?
And now you use Lapua for those, too?...
If I had your money, I'd be using gold plated Lapua, too. In fact, if I had 1/2 your money I'd throw mine away.
Ok...
So I gotta ask. Does Lapua make that much difference? I get really impressive results with Fed brass and even Rem brass. I know a few "seasoned" reloaders that shoot competitively and they don't use Lapua or any high dollar brass.
What is it about Lapua and other exotic brands that make it desirable? Besides the obvious like consistent case weight / thickness / volume. Or, did I just answer my own question?...

missed
03-24-2014, 09:08 AM
That's it it's the consistency. I also have some Lapua 22-250 brass that I have 10 firings on. I do like Winchester brass (but you can't hardly find it) the Federal brass has been great in my 308 same problem as above though. My hunting brass I use Lapua that's on its last leg or cheaper brass in case I drop some.

scope eye
03-24-2014, 09:17 AM
If I could afford it, I would use only Lapua brass, for the reason that I know that, I can fire a new piece of Lapua brass with loads in excess of 80,000+ psi for the first couple of firings and then reduce to 75,000 there after, when I do treat myself to some lapua brass the first thought to cross my mind is, "I can't wait to beat this brass into submission".

Dean

missed
03-24-2014, 09:22 AM
If I could afford it, I would use only Lapua brass, for the reason that I know that, I can fire a new piece of Lapua brass with loads in excess of 80,000+ psi for the first couple of firings and then reduce to 75,000 there after, when I do treat myself to some lapua brass the first thought to cross my mind is, "I can't wait to beat this brass into submission".

Dean

I bet it's tough to justify Lapua when you get two or three firings out of it!

scope eye
03-24-2014, 09:29 AM
I bet it's tough to justify Lapua when you get two or three firings out of it!

I get more than that, I said I get a couple of firings at max, and then the rest I run at the lower pressures, I usually get at least 6 or 7 cycles.

Dean

thermaler
03-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Chevrolet calibers?
And now you use Lapua for those, too?...
If I had your money, I'd be using gold plated Lapua, too. In fact, if I had 1/2 your money I'd throw mine away.
Ok...
So I gotta ask. Does Lapua make that much difference? I get really impressive results with Fed brass and even Rem brass. I know a few "seasoned" reloaders that shoot competitively and they don't use Lapua or any high dollar brass.
What is it about Lapua and other exotic brands that make it desirable? Besides the obvious like consistent case weight / thickness / volume. Or, did I just answer my own question?...If you had my money you would be on the brink of bankruptcy!

fgw_in_fla
03-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Congrats Therm!!!
You just made 1000 posts. That's a real milestone here.

Now you have to buy each one of us a box of Lapua in our favorite caliber.

Welcome to the one grander's club...

thermaler
03-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Congrats Therm!!!
You just made 1000 posts. That's a real milestone here.

Now you have to buy each one of us a box of Lapua in our favorite caliber.

Welcome to the one grander's club...So now I'm a millennial? Well --OK. You want a beer with that lapua?

fgw_in_fla
03-24-2014, 10:08 AM

Dean

80K to start?
Then reduce to 75K?
On what? Your .22 mag rimfire?

If it was anyone else I'd be surprised. I really would.

fgw_in_fla
03-24-2014, 10:13 AM
So now I'm a millennial? Well --OK. You want a beer with that lapua?

Nah..
Make mine something light - maybe some Lapua on pumpernickel and a little mustard.

Now you have 1001. Congrats again! You just made into the "One Grander Plus One Club." Now you have to get everyone a box of Lapua AND you have to get Deano a polycarbonate helmet with face shield for when he shoots his reloads.

thermaler
03-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Nah..
Make mine something light - maybe some Lapua on pumpernickel and a little mustard.

Now you have 1001. Congrats again! You just made into the "One Grander Plus One Club." Now you have to get everyone a box of Lapua AND you have to get Deano a polycarbonate helmet with face shield for when he shoots his reloads.
Well--it's more a testimony of how tolerant this forum is--I've never lasted this long on any other forum before either losing interest or getting thrown off (though I've had a few warnings here; ) ). Like most shooters--I'll swear by anything that happens to work well for me--even if it's over-priced or the next shooter thinks it's total junk. ; )

scope eye
03-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Nah..

If I didn't know any better, I would say that you are stereotyping me Frank, what ever it is it still hurts.

Dean

MacDR
03-24-2014, 08:13 PM
In an article written for Precision Shooting magazine (2010) Bob Jourdan repeats some proven facts about rifle brass that I have read in other references.

"The brass, however, will begin to flow at something over 70,000 psi, and will totally fail by the time the pressure reaches 80,000 psi."

Further technical information on rifle brass pressure testing in both rough and smooth chambers can be found here.

http://www.varmintal.com/a243zold.htm

fgw_in_fla
03-24-2014, 08:23 PM
If I didn't know any better, I would say that you are stereotyping me Frank, what ever it is it still hurts.

Dean

Now you know I have nuthin' but respect for ya my brother.
Anyone that can squeeze upwards of 75kpsi out of their brass the way you do, deserves respect and you know I always try to be considerate of your feelings...

thermaler
03-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Now you know I have nuthin' but respect for ya my brother.
Anyone that can squeeze upwards of 75kpsi out of their brass the way you do, deserves respect and you know I always try to be considerate of your feelings...
This is headed to a "let's hold hands and sing Kumbayah" moment.

fgw_in_fla
03-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Group Hug!!!!.
Therm, I think it's your turn to be pivot man.