PDA

View Full Version : Boyds Stock - Pillar Bedding?

COplains
03-02-2014, 05:10 PM
From pics I have seen, the Boyds don't come with bedded pillars like the Savage wood stock does (110). Thinking of getting one of Boyds varmint thumbhole stocks instead of taking my wood stock down bare and redoing in ebony dye finish. Has anyone here done the pillars in one of their laminates? Never used a thumbhole stock, hope I don't regret this. Thanks, kb

KRP
03-02-2014, 07:30 PM
I've put pillars in every laminate stock I've ever used.

Luke45
03-02-2014, 08:09 PM
I've put pillars in every laminate stock I've ever used.
KRP- Ive aquired a boyds recently, and wondering about pillaring it as well. whats the downside of only glass bedding it and not pillar bedding it?

COplains
03-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Luke...the pillars, among other things, prevent compression of the stock, deforming screw holes and provide a positive index for reseating the action if you remove it.

COplains
03-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Another question...in the Varmint Thumbhole version, is there enough meat in the buttstock to drill a 4 1/8" deep x 7/8" dia hole in it...below centerline (fore-aft) of the stock?

KRP
03-02-2014, 09:24 PM
KRP- Ive aquired a boyds recently, and wondering about pillaring it as well. whats the downside of only glass bedding it and not pillar bedding it?

No solid material for the action screws to tighten against.

the pillars...prevent compression of the stock

That is their only job.

mattri
03-04-2014, 04:16 PM
I bedded a Prairie Hunter, thought it turned pretty good and it shoots great. If you're going through all the work to bed it you mine as well add the pillars and know it's as good as it can be.