PDA

View Full Version : Need help with old style Savage Scout

Buckeye33
03-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Hello all, I need some tech advice to modernize my old first run Savage M10 Scout rifle. I've used this rifle for many years as a deer gun but had plans to retire her after my dad had passed. Recently I've gotten the bug to dig her out and convert to a more precision g-hog and yote gun. I've got a new Savage 10-FC K for a long range shooter. I'm looking for a solid 3-400 yard walking gun with some punch and perhaps some better styling. Now my questions are this, with the old style side release DBM what are my option for a stock. I understand this is still a SA savage but am having trouble keeping up with all of the details in the changes. Will I be able to convert this to a new style DBM or will I have to go to a blind mag? I've followed some of the discussions how guys are reworking the hog hunters with better or different parts and pieces and I guess that's what I'm aiming for. The Leupold vx-3 she wore is getting sent back for a check up so I figured now was the time for some upgrades and mods. This has been a great shooting rifle but it's time for a facelift and new life. Thank you all for the knowledge you bring.

bootsmcguire
03-02-2014, 03:09 PM
The old style DBM won't easily convert to the newer Centerfeed style because of differences in the mag opening in the action. Stocks are not overly plentiful for your style DBM either. You can easily convert to a blind mag by popping off the DBM body attached to the action and replacing it with a SF blind mag body. This article will help you with that CLICK HERE (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?269-How-To-Remove-Your-Blind-Mag-Body-and-Follower-(SF-and-CF)). There are also a fair number of aftermarket choices for DMB setups that may work with your action. I am not fluent on those and as such can only recommend that you do a search here and do some reading as there are tons of different threads about aftermarket DBMs.

As to the rest of it, triggers are plentiful, any small shank barrel should fit your action, if you go blind mag then any SA-SF stock should work for you (keeping in mind the barrel channel in relationship to the barrel contour you choose), etc,etc.

Buckeye33
03-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up on SF vs CF. Looking like I will loose the mag with any stock change I make. Just would have to put together a parts list plus the actual stock. That should be as easy as nuclear physics 101. For a supposed simple rifle design there sure are a lot of variables. I always thought it was just short or long action.

bootsmcguire
03-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Its not too bad but can be overwhelming when you try to take it in all at once. Feel free to ask questions here and do some reading as there is a ton of info on this site. First thing I would do is read most of the articles in the Savage FAQ (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?123-savage-faq-s) section on this site, they will teach you most of what you wish to know.

jonbearman
03-02-2014, 07:34 PM
If you really want a good drop mag system look into CDI bottom metal and mags.They will inlet the stock at a reasonable cost to make it look like it was made at the factory.