PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Head replcement help

damadama
03-01-2014, 10:08 PM
I have a short action controlled feed 7WSM that I want to convert to push feed. The reason for this is that with CDI bottom metal and AI mag. the round drops out of the bolt head on extraction which is a pain.

I have researched this so much I've become totally confused as to what I need to replace. Can some kind knowledgeable person please provide a list of the bolt parts that I need to exchange with, if possible, the Savage part numbers.:confused:

bootsmcguire
03-02-2014, 01:04 AM
Savage probably won't sell you a bolt head as they consider it a Gunsmith Only Part. I would consider ordering a new WSM Push feed bolt head from PT&G.

With that you just swap out the bolt head and remove the standing ejector inside your action (the standing ejector only works with the CRF bolt head you have now) and you should be set to go. Remember any time you change bolt heads its a good idea to double check your firing pin protrusion.

EDIT: I see you are in Canada and I am not sure if PT&G ships to you up there or not. Here is the part number and description straight from the Savage Parts Finder on their site: BOLT HEAD RH SHORT HVY MAG PUSH FEED - P/N: 106190 $29.00
Hope that helps.

PS- for those of you that are wondering, search gunbroker for the factory model of rifle you wish to get part numbers for. Look at the pics in the auction, often they get the serial number in one of the pics. Then just plug in the number at the Savage Part Finder and presto. There you have it.

jonbearman
03-02-2014, 12:05 PM
You also must check the headspace as all parts are not the same dimensionally.

bootsmcguire
03-02-2014, 12:12 PM
You also must check the headspace as all parts are not the same dimensionally.

Yup, good catch. Any time you change a bolt head or bolt body it is mandatory that you check your headspace and adjust as needed.

damadama
03-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys,

I knew it was necessary to check headspace when changeing the bolt head and I have already removed the standing ejector from the action.

What I was not sure of was whether I needed to change the baffle as well because of the different "thicknesses" of the various bolt heads. I have already contacted PT&G will be talking on the phone to them tomorrow (Monday) as they don't list that bolt head on their web site. Do you know if they aldo make the baffles?

bootsmcguire
03-02-2014, 02:39 PM
The baffle you have should work perfect. My understanding is the CRF and PF for the WSM use the same baffle. Not sure if PT&G make a baffle or not.